RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
axoid

Tonido Plug Question

axoid

Dave brought up the idea of using the TonidoPlug in the car as a media server for the kids ipads. I was going to try this but I having a problem. The media server doesn't automatically start when the Plug is booted. With us starting and stopping I don't want to have to manually start it every time.

Anyone have some ideas?

Thanks,

Bill

cskenney

Do you have a power outlet that is always powered on?  Our old minivan had one outlet that never shut off and that would leave it on all the time (at the risk of running down your batter if you left it for a long time.

Another option would be to add an accessory outlet that powered off an always on 12V connection in your fuse panel.  You can buy a terminal at any autoparts store that allows you tap off a fuse.  Make sure you protect the new circuit with a fuse too.

Another option would be to buy one of those small battery packs like this http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?seq=1&format=2&p_id=9283&CAWELAID=1384859724&catargetid=320013720000011081&cagpspn=pla&gclid=CO_Sit_j1LcCFahcMgod1xwA4Q.  Plug the battery pack into the car and the TonidoPlug into the battery pack.  The battery pack will charge off the car when the car is running and supply power to the TonidoPlug when the car stops.  Think of it as a UPS for the car.

When I typed this I suddenly realized the TonidoPlug is 120VAC right?  Are you using an inverter?  Not sure how long an inverter could run off a small battery pack but it might be long enough to do what you are trying to accomplish.

ikon

Sounds like it's getting to be more trouble than it's worth: an inverter to a UPS to the Tonido: hmmmmm if only the Tonido was 5VDC.

jmwills

Kindle App for the iPads....download books to read.  Problem solved.  :D

axoid

The plan was to run it off an inverter. I don't think there is an always on socket in the car. I don't have time to do wiring since we are leaving tomorrow morning to drive to Dallas.