RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Windows Server 2012 Essentials R2 Preview

jmwills

Can anyone confirm if this will be an update (like blue for desktops) or is it a whole new version of the server and requires a new purchase?

Can WS2012E be upgraded to WS2012E-R2? Or a clean install? So far doesn't sound worthy of a new install.

I guess you could do a dirty install over the old OS, but not worthy?  USB Pass-through, clustering of VM's to use the same .vhdx file, Hyper V is now in Essentials....pretty hard to please

I guess you could do a dirty install over the old OS, but not worthy? USB Pass-through, clustering of VM's to use the same .vhdx file, Hyper V is now in Essentials....pretty hard to please

jmwillis, now that you mention, Hyper V alone may be worth it. Just hate thought of doing yet another reinstall, have to reinstall all client connectors, losing prior client backups, etc. may wait until I have a need for a server reinstall and do then. Knock on wood...

I'm a bit surprised, and pleased, to hear that Hyper-V is included with WSE2012r2. USB Passthrough is the giant cherry on top :)