RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Window's server 2012 choice?

PikkonMG

Hello all new here to the forums, been watching the HSS on youtube tho for few months.

I have what one would think would be a simple question, but I keep pondering it myself. I have a linux server that's my main server but have put a machine together out of some parts I had around the house because I want a window's server in the house also. I have few copies of different window's server os's and can't really decide on what one to use.

System Spec's

Athlon 64 x2 4800+

4GB DDR2 Ram

2x 80GB Raptor os drive raid 0

2x 640GB WD Blacks

2x 1TB WD Blacks

And looking at getting few WD RE4 drives for it also.

Copies of Windows server that I have.

2008, 2008 R2, HPC, and Web

Small business server 2011

Server 2012 essentials, standard, and datacenter.

Hello and welcome.

The first thing to ask is, "what is it that I need this server for" and then we can begin to narrow down your choices.  You can strike SBS off the list as you need 16GB RAM for that one.

I would have you leaning towards Server 2012 and when 2012 R2 comes out, the migration would be easier, plus you could then add the WS2012E role to that server.

As jmwills says, identify your needs. Think of it like buying a vehicle. You wouldn't buy an 18 wheeler to race at Indy. Nor would you buy a Chevy Nova. On the other hand, you wouldn't buy a Volkswagen Beetle to move houseloads of furniture :) The right server for the situation is important.

Mainly file server. I'll probably change from MediaTomb to plex server, and also install MediaPortal or SageTV as PvR. Might change to using it for DHCP.

Maybe little minecraft or starmade server here and there.

Possibly few other things i've been waiting to do that there are no linux alternatives for.

Edited by PikkonMG

Wow, that's a bit of a diverse list. However, I noticed you didn't mention backup at all. Is backup of your other 'client' computers something you're looking for?

I'm thinking this may be a situation where VMs would be appropriate.

I guess snapshot was bad choice of wording, I uses acronis on my windows computers for back ups to my ubuntu server. I use greyhole for redundancy on the linux boxes. I plan I putting drivepool/drive blender/flexraid/snapraid or something on this little windows box.

Sense this is just a little rinky dink box I think i'm going to use one of my 2012 standard keys, essentials seems like it doesn't have many features and I do not want to waste a DC key on a computer like this.

I've never been a WHS fan didn't like v1 or 2011. <--- tho i've never really messed with the, either.

Edited by PikkonMG

Have you ever done a Bare Metal Restore using WHS2011? If you have, and didn't like it, fair enough. If you haven't, you might want to try it.

Most members of these forums feel WHS backup is the easiest and best backup & restoration tool available for home use. One of its best features is how automatic and unattended the backups are; it will even wake sleeping computers up to do the backup and put them to sleep again afterward.