RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Help for a Total WSE 2012 Newbie

Philgr

After the last 8 years being exclusively Apple Mac, i have just got a N54L and installed WSE 2012 (trial), its all up and running with a couple of shares, i can log in using Remote Desktop, i can see the shares on my Mac, but i have no idea if i have it integrated correctly into my network, for example i cannot see my Synology NAS from WSE2012, i want to use it as a backup target if possible, Also what services and roles should i have this machine performing

Im looking for a Idiots guide for config to get me up and running, a walk through if you like

Willing to learn and mess about :)

Phil G

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jmwills

• ikon

• Philgr

Top Posters In This Topic

A general question first: have you given your WSE2012 server and Synology NAS static or DHCP Reserved IP addresses? This can help eliminate potential issues in name resolution.

Everything on my network is running a fixed IP address, except from the new N54L running WSE2012 - which i have now sorted,

Everything now has a fixed ip address

Where is DHCP and DNS?  On your router or the server?

It should be on the server.  Your DNS queries are probably failing if it is not.

DCHP is on the router

DNS is set to the following 8.8.8.8 and 4.2.2.3 set on the server

There's your issue. 

DNS on the server should be 127.0.0.1 and all clients point to the server for DNS.  You're running a DC....let it do the job.  Get DHCP off the router and reboot all clients....so they can pull DHCP from the server.

What is 4.2.2.3?  Your ISP?

http://blog.mpecsinc.ca/2013/05/repeat-after-me-dhcp-and-dns-belong-on.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+MpecsIncBlog+%28MPECS+Inc.+Blog%29

jmwills asked the question I had next. Once you have static IP addresses for everything the next issue is DNS & DHCP. WSE2012 is a Domain Controller. As such, it really needs to control DNS & DHCP. Microsoft has gone to great lengths to have the DC handle these items; let it do it's job and you should be good to go.

jmwills, what do you think about DNS Forwarders: should he check them?

Forwarders can be a little quirky.  What has happened on some of the clients in his situation is they may still be looking at the old DNS entries as the authoritative source.

Right, My knowledge on DNS & DCHP is sketchy, i understand what they do and basically how they work, but setting them up on a server is new for me.

I have turned off DCHP on my Router and added the DCHP role to my server, and ran a basic test, and it is assigning IP addressed in the range i set, so i think i am sorted there.

With DNS, i have set the server DNS address to the Same as the server Static IP, and set a client machines DNS lookup to the Server IP and i can still resolve internet addresses, but internal names im not so sure

whats the best way to test?

The DNS address for the server should be 127.0.0.1 and the clients point to the IP of the server.  So that part is right.

Flush DNS on the clients  "ipconfig /flushdns"  without the quotes from a command prompt.

Then ping by HostName and by IP Address.  If both are successful, then everything is working correclty internally.