RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

N40L, P410, and the inability to reboot.

tangcla

Hi all,

I thought I'd create a post here as the likes of @Joe_Miner, @diehard and @LoneWolf seem to be the main authoritative figures when it comes to the MicroServer! It will not restart Windows (but shutdown works fine)

I'll try to explain everything in as much detail as I can - please ask questions if I've left anything our which may be of use.

I have an N40L with the modified TheBay BIOS (will be changing over to the diehard one this weekend), the standard 250GB as a boot drive running WHS2011 off the ODD SATA connector.

I then bought a P410, removed the RAID array (and switched it to AHCI, making the associated registry changes so it would boot), connected up the new drives and set up the array - so far so good. But I noticed that Windows was unable to restart - it would either get stuck at the "Shutting down..." GUI screen, or it would go to a black screen and hang.

I thought it was a Windows installation issue due to the changing of the registry, so I took the opportunity to get a 60GB SSD in there while I reinstalled WHS2011. BUT - the restarting issue was evident even during the installation. I could not do the automated restarts, and when Windows is configuring itself (and alerts that it would restart several times during the process) the system would hang.

I have tried it on IDE as well as AHCI mode, both will do the same thing. The only thing I have not yet tried, is to purchase an SFF-8087 breakout cable and run it off that (I have ordered the cable and am hoping it will arrive soon). I have also tried to start Windows in Safe mode, but the same thing occurs.

So my questions are -

1) Has anyone else experienced a similar problem?

2) Is there a known fix for the problem I have?

3) Failing that, are there any other possible solutions I can try?

While not a dealbreaker, this means I can't automate things like Windows updates.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jmwills

• schoondoggy

• tangcla

• Section 101

Have you updated the firmware on the P410 to the latest?

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=4017895&prodTypeId=329290&prodSeriesId=3883890&swLang=8&taskId=135&swEnvOID=4024#29214

You can also use the Proliant server update as well.

I am running a P410 with the stock bios with no issues. I think there have been issues with raid cards and the BIOS mod.

Can you get everything connected if you go back to the stock BIOS?

Have you updated the firmware on the P410 to the latest?

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=4017895&prodTypeId=329290&prodSeriesId=3883890&swLang=8&taskId=135&swEnvOID=4024#29214

You can also use the Proliant server update as well.

I am running a P410 with the stock bios with no issues. I think there have been issues with raid cards and the BIOS mod.

Can you get everything connected if you go back to the stock BIOS?

I am running 6.00(B) firmware - I bought the card secondhand at the end of April (it came with v3.56 firmware) and upgraded it as soon as I put it in.

Thanks for the tip re incompatibility issue. I will try diehard's BIOS-mods modded bios in the meantime until I get my SFF-8087 cable, and if still no luck, will go back to stock BIOS.

Actually, I could go back to stock BIOS now... just means the SSD will be running in IDE mode, right?

I am a little confused, did you get WHS2011 up and running or you cant get it past a reboot?

Did WHS2011 find the newest driver? I would check that first. 

Check the link in this thread, I am not sure if it is applicable or not;

http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/5508-hp-proliant-n40l-with-hp-smart-array-p410-256mb-bbwc-problems/?hl=%2Bbios+%2Bmod+%2Braid

Lonewolf found that disabling SATA/IDE port combining as described with the modified BIOS also disabled the ability of the MicroServer to see his P410 -- read more of what he found here.

What little I've picked up about the P410 I've learned mostly from LoneWolf and SchoonDoggy I've used the RR2720 which is a little quirky IMHO compared to the P410.

We have a step by step on using DieHard's/BIOS-MODS here.

You may need to go back to the Stock BIOS though -- that would mean your SATA Port on the System Board will be at SATA I speed and IDE mode (without AHCI I don't think you'll have trim on the SSD).

We do have some other discussion on RAID and links to Manuals etc Here.

I'd get the breakout cable and run the OS drive off the P410 with the stock bios.

I would agree, but be aware;

1. The P410 runs at SATA II speed.

2. The P410 has no mode for JBOD/RAID bypass/pass through. The work around is to create a RAID 0 with one drive. This may have changed with the latest firmware.

Hi all,

Thanks all for your replies! Let me try to answer the questions as best I can.

* Windows Home Server starts fine, everything works fine except for the ability to reboot.

* The P410 is visible in the BIOS and I can see the volume, I will check to port 5 is set to combined mode though.

* I have the 256MB battery back-up cache installed.

Update.

Now running @diehard's BIOS, made sure Combined mode is off. Still won't reboot.

Will try stock BIOS tomorrow.