RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

joem

I notice that on my Windows 7 Pro computer that is joined to the domain that when I go to the local area connection properties and check under preferred DNS server, that if I set it to use my routers ip address of 192.168.0.1 that it will change back to the servers ip address of 192.168.0.75 without any input from me.  I don't know at what point that change occurs, but if I check that information every few days it will always be changed back to the servers ip addresss.  I just don't get it. Any explanation for this would be appreciated. 

joem

Why can I not manually change that and have it hold the ip address I change to?

jmwills

See the article.  Most of your DNS queries are failing if DNS is running from the server.

joem

Very good article.  As an adjunct that I found out why the address for DNS goes back to the servers address.  It is the Windows Server LAN Configuration service on the client computrers.  It is set for automatic.  Anytime you restart your computer it will rest the DNS proffered address back to the servers address.  I was wondering what the ramifications of disabling that service would be so that you could use any DNS server that you wanted in place of the DC? 

Edited by joem

jmwills

Eventually you will resolve an address but like the article says, the WWW has no idea what "myserver.local" is (providing you use your router for DNS) and will revert back to the local authoritative sever (your sever with the DNS role) but in the meantime your network speed suffers.

I like the notation in there about using a Microserver as a secondary DC.

ikon

jmwills, can't we just say that, when using a Domain, don't mess with the DNS; do it the way the Domain wants to do it?

jmwills

You said it....and I couldn't agree more.  There is a reason DNS stands for "Domain Naming Service"

ikon

Yeah. And I look at it this way too: MS has some pretty smart people who work on this stuff. You need a really good reason to mess with it.

joem

I agree.  I got started going down this rat hole when my server was down for a couple of days.  I had to reset my dns to connect to the router on the workstations.  I was confuse as to why when I checked back in a few days they had automatically changed back.  Obviously now I know it was because the server was up again and the computers had been restarted.

This will be of interest: http://www.tinkertry.com/ws2012e-dns-fix/