RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
cskenney

HP ProLiant G7 Server N54L Shell Shocker $229.99 1pm-3pm

Dave

I am part of the club now!  I broke down.  I gues S2012E will go on this once it arrives.

Here come the newb questions! 

How much RAM is in it?

Can I upgrade it?

Should I flash the bios?

;)

jmwills

2GB up to 16 GB stable

No need to flash the BIOS AFAIC.

schoondoggy

Per HP max memory 8GB ECC.

jmwills

Per "Our Guys"...16GB  :D

ikon

Dave, so far it seems that more people have had success using 16GB in the N54L than the N40L.

ricopsuedo

I just bought this deal. Got the 8GB Ram and 4 x 2TB WD Red drives.  Can't wait to get it here and start working on it.  I am moving from a HP MediaSmart 487 that just crashed on me.  I am planning on putting Windows 2012E on it.  I have a lot to learn, but it is exciting to get back in to building my machines.  Thanks to everyone on these forums for educating me on the selection of my next server and for all the help that I am going to get as I start building this new server.  

Thanks.

David

schoondoggy

Per "Our Guys"...16GB  :D

and this forum is a reference for more than the regular 'guys'.

If somebody pops in here and sees your post, buys 16GB and it doesn't work, what are you going to do? 

I just think we need to be clear when handing out advice. 

jmwills

If someone buys outside the standard without researching, then shame on them.  We have members running 16GB on the N40L's but not consistently, but I cannot remember a single post with a N54L not being able to use 16GB.

schoondoggy

That's my point, people use this forum as a research site.

I don't mean to beat you up, I think we all need to be careful with the information we share.

maybe a better way to say it is, 'HP certifies the box to 8GB, but several users of the forum have 16GB running stable. Here are the part numbers they are using,,,,,,,'

gurkakrieg

To study for my MCSA SQL Server exams, I've been debating whether to buy a Microserver or build a whitebox. This price just ended the debate. Now, it's time to figure out what else I need to get the server ready for hyper-v and six or seven WIndow guests. 

Thanks for the tip on the deal. Very much appreciated.

Mike