RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

SMTP server alerts on WS2012E

Jason

Trying to setup email alerts for my Adaptec RAID controller in MaxView Storage Manager.  Unfortunately it appears that most of these apps only support non-SSL smtp email over port 25.  Seems everything else moving toward SSL SMTP over port 465, etc.  Trying to avoid setting up an e-mail server on my WS2012E box to relay email alerts.

How are others working around this?

We run into this often in our lab testing environment. We finally had to setup a Lab Mail server to handle the traffic.

I have not had time to research, but I wonder if this would/could work;

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/pc/microsoft-exchange-online-email-for-business-b-FX104055982.aspx

Its $4 per month, but you wouldn't have to set it up.

I have gotten around the problem by using my web hosting provider 1 and 1 which supports it,  It might be worth a few bucks a year to find a private email provider that lets you use port 25.

I have gotten around the problem by using my web hosting provider 1 and 1 which supports it,  It might be worth a few bucks a year to find a private email provider that lets you use port 25.

Good point. Wonder if 1and1.com's web hosting starter package alone would be enough to support this for low cost if I won't be hosting a site.  Never seeked out port 25 support before.  A niche need.

My ISP won't allow outbound port 25 at all.

I have a business internet account so no ports are blocked in/outbound.  They defer to the user to manage their own ports (a plus).  But when it comes to using non-SSL SMTP alerts on default SMTP port 25, it's unsupported.  I wish all software just supported SSL.

I just use my ISP's SMTP server...

Me too. My email server sends emails out through my ISP on an alternate port; 675 or something like that. I did have to configure my ISP account to allow specific email addresses to use that port. At least they allow it at all.