RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Can you build your own Gen8 equivalent Microserver?

Mr_Smartepants

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ikon

• Mr_Smartepants

• schoondoggy

• jmwills

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Absolutely agree: each person is going to have their own pet features list. Fortunately, there is (mostly) hardware available to meet just about any of those feature lists

No, the iLO licenses are permanent, so starting at $129 one-time.  The 1yr/3yr in the SKU description is for technical support of the features added by the license.   Support for the core iLO features

I have to agree with LoneWolf that the 'soft' side of things is one area where OEMs can differentiate themselves from both their direct competitors and from home brewers. However, I don't personally include these things in 'quality' per se. They're great to have, and can make the difference between buying and building, but I don't think they are part of how well a product is built

• 1 month later...

I think that it's great time to bring this discussion to live again. I have almost made decison to buy Microserver Gen 8 and next replace processor to Xeon E3-1265L and add 16GB of ram, but after last HP decisions about updates and drivers availability I have started thinking again :unsure:  I am considering also custom build using Asrock E3C226D2I motherboard with Xeon E3-1265L v3 closed in Lian Li PC-Q25b (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811112339). I want to run ESXi as home lab. Could you please help me to make a proper decision?  :rolleyes:

EDIT: In future I'll want also use passthrough GPU and sound card (Asrock doesn't have one) to one of VM working as HTPC.

Edited by bednarz

I agree about the changes in HP's policies.

I think you might run into issues with passthrough GPU. A couple of others have asked about this and I don't think it turned out well for either of them. It seems the performance is, well, let's just say it's not quite what one would hope. :)

My opinion:  If you want to build a server, build a server.

If you want to build an HTPC, build an HTPC.

Don't try to make one system do both, or you'll limit both.

You don't need a ton of system to make a good HTPC, and having it as a dedicated solution is much more flexible over time.  If you want to go cheap, do an Intel NUC, even.  But there's a reason servers were meant to be dedicated boxes, and my personal believe is that that's not just true in the enterprise, it's true at home, too.  I myself am much more satisfied with a dedicated HTPC.

Guys, I think I shouldn't mention about HTPC. It was defaced original use. The main purpose will be to host Oracle Database 11g in RAC and Oracle Database 12c for home lab and virtual machine for programming tools. It will be also a small testing ground for new stuff. So, yes, it will be server :-)

I am thinking about custom built modularity. It'll be build on server part and each part will be easly changeable. Maybe I am wrong, but it's a big advantage. From the other hand Microserver Gen 8 is real server, where parts should be extremely good selected.

I didn't mentioned before it should be extremally quiet and so why I think that custom built may be the better choice. Again, there is the other side of the coin, HP iLO and system monitoring,inteligent provisioning and maybe other stuff about whose I don't know :) It's definitely not easy choice... :unsure:

Edited by bednarz

While I applaud the initiative, and the case does look interesting, I'm less enthused about the 80mm fan. Perhaps, if it turns out to be on the noisy side, it could be replaced with a Noctua or Arctic Cooling substitute.

There is a few other issues. Low clearance for a CPU fan. Only one "os" drive can be mounted even though more ssds would fit.

What excites me is that finally we are seeing more options for enthusiasts.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk