RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Mr_Smartepants

Can you build your own Gen8 equivalent Microserver?

jmwills

Nice exercise to go through......buy the G8 !!

ikon

Nice exercise to go through......buy the G8 !!

Indeed. I think these are great discussions to have: weigh the pros and cons of each. No doubt some, like Mr_Smartepants, will find the MicroServer too limiting for their situation while others will find it hard to justify building their own box.

mrmellypants

Just to throw this in the mix, I was thinking about getting the G8 with the switch, in the UK there is a cash back offer, so you get the switch free.

BUT.......I can get a HP DL380 gen5 real server with (8 cores)quad zeon @3GHZ 16GB ram 3x72 SAS HDD,ILO2 off ebay (some spec is higher better value if you go with AMD), I know the whole point of the micro server is small quiet and cheap to run, but that thing will run anything you run at it.

After you add 16GB ECC at least another £100 another processor £200 then x4 HDD's WD REDS £320 its way more than the 2nd hand off ebay (point is defeats being good value, ok if you have drives anyway)

It is hardware I support install/configure ?.....just asking for peoples opinion really and any advive on people who have a gen 8, how many VM's can you run off it and what are they ? and what is the performance like ?

Thanks  :rolleyes:

ikon

No doubt the 380 is more powerful, but it's also larger and noisier, isn't it? If one is going to do all the upgrades you talk about then it may not make sense to get a MicroServer, but it will suit many home/SOHO situations with little to no upgrades. The first upgrade that comes to my mind is to attach an external multi-bay USB3 enclosure to get more storage, but even that is more than many will need.

g725s

What about the value of the IT management suite?

g725s

And was this mentioned..Does the new microserver also have RAC built in?

ikon

What about the value of the IT management suite?

Do you think the management suite is all that valuable to most home/SOHO users? I wonder how many really need remote access to a server that's literally a few feet away.

gstarks

And was this mentioned..Does the new microserver also have RAC built in?

The Gen8 MicroServer has iLO4 built-in - the same management solution as all other ProLiants.   Remote console included for pre-OS tasks.  New lower cost iLO Essentials license at $129.  So $50 higher than the $79 RAC, but way more features and consistent across product line.  you can use the dedicated iLO port, or set it to shared mode with NIC1.   

ikon

Does that mean you could actually 'team' the NICs?

g725s

The Gen8 MicroServer has iLO4 built-in - the same management solution as all other ProLiants. Remote console included for pre-OS tasks. New lower cost iLO Essentials license at $129. So $50 higher than the $79 RAC, but way more features and consistent across product line. you can use the dedicated iLO port, or set it to shared mode with NIC1.

129 a year?