RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
snicko

Rocket Raid 2720 Dropping raid 5 array on reset

Drashna Jaelre

No, I'm not running Reds. I don't run WD unless I get them for free. In fact, the only WDs i have in my server are 2x 1TB WD Enterprise drives that i got from a friend that works at a data center. 3+ years old, and SMART attributes are all "in the green". Not the fastest drives, but damn. They still work great. :)

@Ikon, I'm not surprised. the REDs are meant for "low end NAS" stuff, not high end enterprise/datacenter usage. So they probably haven't updated their scripts in their india call center....

ikon

Great news snicko; glad to hear it's working.

snicko

Me too - Its been a long saga and i should have ontaccted highpoint first off before i boughta  second card.

Guess i have a spare now!

Might be encouragement to build another NAS array.... Pending wife approval!

im using WHS2011 purely as a homeserver for storing files and for my media centre, 2 xboxes, a ps3 and a smart tv to play media from.

Is there anything else i should look at adding or doing to my WHS. Ie popular plugins or apps???

I only have plex installed at the moment - should i install Couch potato?

pcdoc

As I do not like much of anything about torrents, I certainly would not put that on my server.  For security and stability reasons, I only put very mainstream software on my server.  Call me silly...

ikon

@Ikon, I'm not surprised. the REDs are meant for "low end NAS" stuff, not high end enterprise/datacenter usage. So they probably haven't updated their scripts in their india call center....

I never said "low end". I don't know if WD believes Reds are good for enterprise use or not, only that they say they are designed specifically for NAS & RAID use.

timekills

I never said "low end". I don't know if WD believes Reds are good for enterprise use or not, only that they say they are designed specifically for NAS & RAID use.

They specifically tout the Reds on their page as designed for home "NAS and RAID use."

However...the primary difference between the Greens and Reds are the Reds do not have the idle function (in WD's case the (in)famous WDIDLE setting) enabled which can cause the Greens to drop out of an array. No where have I found that WD clams the Reds to have enabled TLER.

Now, as to whether TLER should be required is another discussion. I think it is a cop-out, personally. But the fact remains that what separates drives designed for RAID and those not is RAID-designed drives to support TLER.

How WD can claim their REDs are designed for RAID use (and I quote: "The right choice! No other drive is designed specifically for home and small office NAS systems and PCs with RAID.") without enabling TLER is interesting to me.

ikon

OK, so if a drive devotes zero time to error recovery, I guess it can never drop out of an array :)  However, I recall someone posting somewhere that WD would never implement a modern drive with no error recovery on board, so the Reds have TLER. Sadly, I'm too old to be able to remember where I saw it. I guess it's time to start taking more notes (or start writing on my palms) :(

timekills

I suppose it may be semantics, but HighPoint can use semantics to their advantage.

If you run a smartctrl feature set on WD RED drives you'll find the setting under "SCT Error Recovery Control" is set to 70 for read and write. That equates to 7 seconds limited time for error recovery - which is exactly what TLER does. It limits hardware error recovery to (typically) < 8 seconds to ensure the RAID controller doesn't drop the drive from the array due to unresponsiveness. The theory being if it isn't readable within 7 seconds then it is likely lost, and with (most) arrays you can just mark the sector as bad and recover the data from the parity. Doesn't help with RAID0 of course, but that is another discussion.

Anyhow, a "TLER-like" function is clearly enabled. WD just doesn't call it TLER (I can make a hypothesis on this based on not wanting business to pay 1/2 price for REDs vs RE4's but I won't.)

WD says their NASWare software built into the REDs provides:

• Error recovery controls: Desktop drives are not traditionally designed for RAID environments and have controls that prevent the RAID controller from assisting in the event of an error which can cause the hard drive to drop off the RAID after a period of time.  Rebuilding a RAID often requires several hours and can have a significant impact on downtime and productivity. 

http://www.wd.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=810

Again - that and the smartctrl feature set shows a TLER function. But since WD doesn't call it TLER, RAID card manufacturers can blow you off.