RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
snicko

Rocket Raid 2720 Dropping raid 5 array on reset

snicko

It may be pointless....

Highpoint Supports Reply

"Dear customer, the problems you are experiencing is most likely caused by the WD RED HDD"s. 

WD RED HDD's are classified as desktop HDD's and are not recommended to work in a RAID array.

Desktop HDD's are not meant to be used in a RAID array, one of the reasons, is because desktop HDD's do not have a feature called TLER which can prevent a degraded RAID array.

Attached is technical whitepaper from WD that explains why TLER is needed.

Regards

HighPoint Support Team"

ikon

OK, HighPoint Support totally messed up on this one; they obviously didn't do their research. WD Red drives are specifically designed and intended for NAS/RAID use. They do have TLER; HighPoint is plain wrong about this. Don't take my word for it: http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=810

snicko

they have just replied and given me a new driver!

ill test it out when i get home from work

Drashna Jaelre

Do you have the Web Management tool/service installed? And if you do, have you checked the event log on that, It may indicate what the issue is. I know I've had some luck identifying issues on drives attached by checking out this log.

pcdoc

they have just replied and given me a new driver!

ill test it out when i get home from work

I am guessing this will not do the trick.  I would suggest reviewing some of the other suggestions made earlier.  You have an issue but it is not a driver unless it is crashing with something else on your system.

snicko

I loaded the driver last night (aus time) reinitialized, gpt it in drive management loaded some stuff on and rebooted this morning. 

believe it or not it worked

Im still a bit dubious, so i have set it to copy some more data whilst im at work and will check it when i get home with a reboot

They gave me driver 1.53

This was there response this morning 

"Dear customer the HDD model you reference WD30EFRX is a WD RED HDD. 

WD RED HDD's are classified as desktop HDD's which do not have TLER. We believe using desktop classified HDD's is the reason for the RAID array dropping drives.

Regards

HighPoint Support Team"

pcdoc

Well I am surprised but congrats.  Does not have to make sense as long as it works.  Good luck.

Drashna Jaelre

PCDoc, it is possible that the "old" driver was issuing improper commands to the controller and causing one or more HDDs to fall out.  If I had to make a (somewhat blind) guess, I'd say that this is what may have been happening, if the driver does indeed fix the issue.

Snicko, would you mind sharing that driver? I have a RR2720 as well, and ... just in case....

pcdoc

PCDoc, it is possible that the "old" driver was issuing improper commands to the controller and causing one or more HDDs to fall out.  If I had to make a (somewhat blind) guess, I'd say that this is what may have been happening, if the driver does indeed fix the issue.

Snicko, would you mind sharing that driver? I have a RR2720 as well, and ... just in case....

Good point, as we all know, all things are possible with computers good or bad.  Are you running REDS on your 2720? 

ikon

I see HighPoint Support still doesn't realize Red drives are designed for RAID.