RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
snicko

Rocket Raid 2720 Dropping raid 5 array on reset

snicko

Hi Everyone,

I built a WHS2011 home server last year and bought a 2720SGL card. I finally bought 4 WD red 3tb to create a RAID 5 Array and create my frist array.

Setup was easy - plugged in, web gui, initialized disks, Created array (foreground), once created i added teh drive in computer management.

All worked fine, till i reset the computer and the array dissapears.

On reset two drives come up as legacy and two come up in an array.

I have done this multiple times and am having no luck - Any ideas would be great!

jmwills

Any Error messages in the Management Console?

snicko

no error messages at all! its driving me crazy!

jmwills

I would remove the drives (break the array) and use DiskPart to clean and format the drives.  Then start over again remembering that it will take quite a bit of time to initialize an array of that size.  I'm guessing 50 hours or so.

snicko

Yeah the disks were brand new, and they initialize properly, builds the array properly.

The array appears fine in WHS2011 after its created (foreground), even writes & reads data.  Until I reset the server and then the array disappears from the controller (drives still show) and the array disappears from the server.

Im hoping it is some setting im missing!  

When i add the drive in computer management should it be a GUID partition? also block size?

jmwills

GUID?  Try GPT partition.

You never know what may have been on those drives.  I'd still DiskPart them to be sure.

Are you building the array in the BIOS or thru the HighPoint GUI?  It should be through the GUI.

snicko

sorry - it was GPT

Ill download diskpart

Building the array thru GUI

ikon

DiskPart is included with Windows. You run it from a CMD prompt. Just be sure start CMD with administrative privileges.

pcdoc

Something does not sound right at all.  You should not need to do this.  This sounds more like a card problem or cable problem.  Is this a new card?  If so I would suggest RMA just to rule that out.  the other option is the cable set.  I have had a couple of problems using the highpoint cable set and do not use their cable any longer,

ikon

Which cables do you use now pcdoc?