RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Hardened

Gigabyte silently launches 4-bay NAS, WHS and Linux options available

Dave

I like the way this conversation has turned.  Discussion is good.

I will effort a price for the box.  Will that change anyone's mind?  It certainly speaks highly of the long reach of WHS 2011.  The server that refused to die.

Regardless, I have one on the way.  I wonder if I can keep it until the meetup?  I'll certainly try.

diehard

It's nice to see that this box supports WHS2011, that said, I would like to see a barebones model available that does not include the OS or drives to save me the cost of paying for something I can replace myself including memory.

It might not be cost effective for Gigabyte to carry a version for every OS version.

ikon

That post says;

""done before" -- yep, that about covers it. At one time we would all be applauding the fact that another manufacturer is entering the WHS market, but it has the feel of  "too little, too late"."

and then you say;

"As I posted earlier, it would be great that another manufacturer is entering the home server market if it didn't have such mediocre specs, and that it could still be interesting if it set a new price point."

Those two statements are not the same. 

Sorry to have taken this thread down this rat hole.

Well, AFAIC,

"another manufacturer is entering the WHS market" = "another manufacturer is entering the home server market" and

"too little, too late" = "mediocre specs".

Are they word-for-word identical? No. Does it matter? Not AFAIC. It wasn't my intent to be obtuse; I thought these statements were close enough for government work :)

schoondoggy

Well, AFAIC,

"another manufacturer is entering the WHS market" = "another manufacturer is entering the home server market" and

"too little, too late" = "mediocre specs".

Are they word-for-word identical? No. Does it matter? Not AFAIC. It wasn't my intent to be obtuse; I thought these statements were close enough for government work :)

You have passed the test!

There is a job waiting for you in the USA.

The Democrats or Republicans need a guy like you.

ikon

I like how you say both Democrats and Republicans. It kinda backs up that gov't work is gov't work, no matter which gov't it is. Nevertheless, I think I'll pass :)

Dave

It's nice to see that this box supports WHS2011, that said, I would like to see a barebones model available that does not include the OS or drives to save me the cost of paying for something I can replace myself including memory.

It might not be cost effective for Gigabyte to carry a version for every OS version.

Good Point. "Cost Effective"  Hence the reason for WHS 2011. Where else can you get a NAS OS?  How quick can you develop one? What would be your payback?

Pretty good move for Gigabyte to go with 2011.

ikon

Developing a NAS OS from scratch would probably cost more than developing the hardware.