RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Hardened

Gigabyte silently launches 4-bay NAS, WHS and Linux options available

jmwills

The [product looks to be equivalent to an N54L.  Why build when I can buy the hardware for the same money?

I never said it was bad, but at a certain price point, it tends to be over priced.

cskenney

First let me say that I am not saying any of the systems I am about to list are better than the Microserver family or this Gigabyte box.  However, just to give an idea of market price I looked up very similar NAS devices from QNAP, Synology and Thecus.

QNAP TS-469-L 4-bay NAS with Intel Atom 2.3Ghz dual core processor.  $649.99 at Newegg.

Synology DS413 4-Bay Dual Core 1.06Ghz processor.  $519.99 at Newegg.

Thecus N4800ECO 4-bay Intel Atom processor.  $649.99 at Newegg

All these boxes can do Raid 0, 1, 5, 6, and JBOD.  Some do Raid 10.

In comparison the Microservers (for their base price) have No OS and limited to Raid 0 or Raid 1)

The Gigabyte boxes I can't find any prices and it doesn't list what types of Raid it can do.

Joe_Miner

http://b2b.gigabyte.com/products/list.aspx?ck=132&cg=10

Dual LAN is positive, external power supply to my opinion is on the dark side

It is interesting that Gigabyte is bundling the OS. It would be nice to see a Storage Server 2012 version or a Windows Server 2012 Foundations version. 

This is Amazing.  Especially if they upped the game and had an offering with SS2012 -- 4 drives in RAID10 with SS2012 with data dedup turned on -- that would be a nice little box off the shelf -- probably would push the price up to $1K though

Edited by Joe_Miner

Hardened

As you can noticed product is delivered by B2B Service division of Gigabyte, so I would expect WSE12 and WSS12 as a natural next step.

But personally I would prefer to find current Atom Storage 12x9 SKUs or upcoming Avoton chip in server models.

There is a link to detailed review on the News and Awards tab. Some interesting points:

1) RAID 5 performance is in line with known NAS brands, but RAID1/0 is disastrous. Probably firmware is not polished yet.

2) There is quite an extensive list of app modules for Linux to match other rivals, such as Synology

3) Kloudian Orbweb Virtual Desktop software is bundled with WHS edition - you can publish apps and connect to virtual desktops with browser and native iOS and Android clients. Actually I'm not sure if WHS license allows for RDS. Always though that MS specially differentiated home NAS WHS and multi-user desktop Multipoint Servers SKU so that they can't undermine WSE.

It is apparent Gigabyte tries to target SMB market with this product. WHS is still much cheaper than WSE and WSS.

P.S. I won't trust a server in SMB office to an always easily unplugged external power supply. At least until latching power cable is invented by somebody (like SATA) :)

pcdoc

I look at this way, depending on pricing, this would be a great second option for the micro server world, but only if they price it right.  As for bundling 2012e, that would blow the price out quite a bit.  Very interested to know why they are doing this.  As resurgence in WHS?  Or delayed reaction.

ikon

How can you judge the price when you don't know what is in it?

WHS 2011 is $50 by its self.

Any product that helps build momentum behind the concept of home servers is a good thing for our community.

But we do know what's in it. The specs are on the page that's linked to. As I posted earlier, it would be great that another manufacturer is entering the home server market if it didn't have such mediocre specs, and that it could still be interesting if it set a new price point.

Hardened

I look at this way, depending on pricing, this would be a great second option for the micro server world, but only if they price it right.  As for bundling 2012e, that would blow the price out quite a bit.  Very interested to know why they are doing this.  As resurgence in WHS?  Or delayed reaction.

I really think they try to save a couple of hundreds $$$ on MS WSE licenses by introducing similar functions with cheaper alternatives, like Ordweb VDI and etc.

But D2550 is a really outdated these days with completely renewed Intel Haswell and Silvermount as well as new AMD Kabini APU and Kyoto Opterons (X1150, X2150).

schoondoggy

But we do know what's in it. The specs are on the page that's linked to. As I posted earlier, it would be great that another manufacturer is entering the home server market if it didn't have such mediocre specs, and that it could still be interesting if it set a new price point.

You know what parts are in it, but you dont know what the features are.

The review referenced above is very informative. It also confirms that this Gigabyte system is is trying to compete with QNAP, Thecus, Synology. It is not a basic server, like a microserver.

"As I posted earlier, it would be great that another manufacturer is entering the home server market if it didn't have such mediocre specs", where did you post that?

Edited by schoondoggy

schoondoggy

That post says;

""done before" -- yep, that about covers it. At one time we would all be applauding the fact that another manufacturer is entering the WHS market, but it has the feel of  "too little, too late"."

and then you say;

"As I posted earlier, it would be great that another manufacturer is entering the home server market if it didn't have such mediocre specs, and that it could still be interesting if it set a new price point."

Those two statements are not the same. 

Sorry to have taken this thread down this rat hole.