RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

OS for HTCP in Fiji

vino125

Bula, (boolah) Hello in Fijian

After exhaustive research I just purchased an Hp N54L along with 8gb ram, graphics card, bracket for moving the included 250gb hard drive to ODD bay, various cables, two WD red 3tb drives for data and remote that should work for most OS. All this will be brought to me by my buddy from the States when he visits in the next couple of months.

Since I am on one of the over 300 remote islands I need to get this right. Internet, lets just say when it works, it is equivalent to dial up, if that. So, if I don't respond right away, please forgive me. (I shouldn't complain, at least I have it.)

All I will be using this box for right now is watching movies and TV shows (2.5tb worth and growing) on my TV through my (HDMI) graphics card. What is the best OS and software? Metadata, skins, etc is not that important because of internet. I just need something that will play MP4, avi, mkv as long as it is named correctly. Later, when and if I move it would be nice to use all the features, but this is the cost of living in paradise.

So, HTCP only box, protection of data very important, using included 250gb hard drive for OS (after BIOs mod) and eventually 4 data drives. Proven suggestions please, out in the middle of nowhere. Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the forums. You're probably the most out-of-the-way member now.

Regarding protection of data, you really need to look into 3-2-1 Strategy. There's a lot of info about it on these forums, but the main things are multiple copies of all data and off site backup.

Windows 7 and media center would be great, but what about a software raid option to protect my data. Haven't used Windows in 8 years, it's all been Mac lately. Willing to dive into linux if there is a good guide and system that someone here is using.

Please don't confuse RAID with backup/data protection. RAID is for resiliency; backup is for backup. RAID helps keep your system up & running. Without off site backup, your data is not truly protected. Off Site backup could be a physical backup, such as a hard drive that's stored in another location, or it could be a cloud solution (although that seems pretty impractical given your internet access situation).