RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

My New WHS...well almost new.

jmwills

A refurbished Acer H340 for the grand total of $329. That is delivered with a 1 TB drive. Now considering the OS retails for around $125 and the drive would be about $75, this means the server cost me $129 from Tiger Direct. Sweet deal.

Low power was an up front concern as well as it's cousin the Acer HTPC. Quite pleased with both.

Nice unit. I have grown to really like acer. I am sure there server will be good to you as are their laptops and minis. I have six revo's at work and they all work very well. Good luck.

jmwills - like your blog. Stay at it.

What did you throw on for add-ins? How do you like the performance of the Atom processor?

Nothing in the way of add-ins for now as I am somewhat of a purist, like someone else here I know. I do have another server running in virtual mode that I do test with and a couple are installed there. The main focus was to have a way to enjoy movies and TV shows while here in Iraq.

Never know when you might be somewhere different tomorrow and this is great entertainment. I have one more 2TB drive coming which will get me up to 4.5 which isn't a lot compared to others but I don't have the luxury of recording TV on the fly, I have to download from newsgroups, etc. So far i have just shy of 200 movies and complete seasons of NCIS, 24, Law & Order, Two and Half Men, to mention a few. I think with duplication, I have about 55% of my drive space available.

Thanks for the blog comment, that is something new for me as Microsoft was taking away the free site I had for a couple of years and I hate formatting web sites, to much of a pain and the blog seems to be an easier way to say the same things.