RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Andyzz

Schedule power on... No option in bios?

Andyzz

Hi

My n54l is up and running. Managed to install a ssd and have the optical drive running off esata. Also tried to replace the fan (made a bit of a mess of that as I did not know about the wiring was different for a HP fan!). Working really well so far. One thing I cant find is scheduling start up in the Bios? I have scheduled windows 7 to auto shut down the proliant but I need to have the server turn on automatically. Want to save the power at night.

I do have a second n40l which is on all the time and I was thinking of scheduling start up with wake on LAN but thought the bios must support this?

Thanks

Andy

cskenney

A server by nature is not designed to be cycled on and off like you are describing.  I realize you are running Windows 7 but the hardware is a server by design.

Andyzz

Thanks for the reply so I assume no help in the BIOS then.... I will go down the route of using wake on LAN. Saving energy is important for everyone these days even for a server. Surprised HP don't make it easier.

Thanks again.

cskenney

Your right, saving energy is important. The microserver hardware is pretty efficient for a server. You will also find out that the sleep/hibernate functions on the Microserver aren't as good as you want either.

jmwills

With LogMeIn, you can wake up an N40L. don't know about the 54 series though.

cskenney

You can wake it from sleep ( not hibernate) right?

jmwills

Yes.  I can shut it down completely and turn it back on.