RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
jdilay

Windows 8 VM on HP N40L 100% CPU Usage

jdilay

Hi All,

I am running a Windows 8 Pro VM in VMWare workstation 9 on my Windows Home Server 2011 HP N40L server.  Whenever I do anything in the Windows 8 VM the CPU spikes to 100% and the VM is pretty well hungup and N40L is slow...so can't multitask on either OS without sluggish response and have to wait until processes are done...Ive also noticed the network speeds on the VM are sluggish even though they are showing 1Gbps nic connection.

Any recommendations for getting this VM working without the 100% CPU usage spikes or is the N40L just not powerful enough?  Maybe a BIOS or VM settings needs changing?

Details:

Home Server 2011 installed on SSD

VMWare Workstation 9.2 installed on SSD

Windows 8 Pro VM has default VM settings except 4GB of RAM was added....single processor

VM running from VM folder on D: drive which is a Stablebits Drivepool pool, made up of 5 x 3TB RED drives

All patched up on both OSs

HP N40L modified BIOS with recommended settings

HP N40L has 16GB of RAM (Patriot pgd316g1333elj gamer)...only 8GB showing right now....ugh another issue for another thread.  Was showing 16GB for the longest time.  3 reboots and still only showing 8GB of 16GB available.

Nothing else is running on the N40L at the moment...just serving files.

Does it make more sense to have VMWare workstation running on my i5 desktop instead?

Thanks!

jmwills

"Does it make more sense to have VMWare workstation running on my i5 desktop instead?"

Yes

ikon

^^ What he said.

While the MicroServers are great little boxes for the $, and it's fun to see how far they can be pushed, they do have their limitations. For real-world use, an ix CPU is a better bet.

jdilay

Thanks for the quick replies.  I have moved VMWare WS to my desktop.  Is it best to move the VM file to the desktop too or can I leave it on the server?

jmwills

Put it all in one location.  The hops from from the desktop through the switch back to the server are jusr going to slow things down.

ikon

^^ Again, what he said. Why generate all that network traffic for nothing. I would keep a backup of your VM file on the server though.

jdilay

Thanks guys!  Things are running great now.

I also had an issue with my Windows 8 VM freezing every once in a while in VM Workstation 9.0.2.  Resolved by disabling the ROM drive.