RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Should I Creat System Partition?

okhomer

I have a WHS v1 and moving to 2012 Essentials.  I have 8 total drives.  One 2TB, one 1.5TB and six 1TB drives.  Should I create a 120GB "system" partition on the 2TB drive or one of my 1TB drives?  Thanks in advance.

I think you will find that the general consensus of forum members is to put the OS on it's own drive, not a partition on a drive that also has data. I have found this to be a good policy to live by :)

• Like 1

I think you will find that the general consensus of forum members is to put the OS on it's own drive, not a partition on a drive that also has data. I have found this to be a good policy to live by :)

I would understand that but Drive Bender will not let you add a System drive to a pool.  I do not want to take up a whole TB drive to install 2012. :unsure: I am using up all 8 sata ports that I have in my system.  4 on board and 2 2 ports cards.

I agree with ikon, put the OS on its own drive and do concern yourself with adding it to the pool.  If loosing space is a concern, than get a small laptop drive for the OS and use the 1T in the pool.