RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
maverickbane

16GB RAM for N54L

maverickbane

Hi guys. I'm looking to run guest OS's on my N54L so I thought it probably best that I upgrade the RAM.

Has anyone used 16GB ram on this microserver. I read that people have had success with the Crucial CT2KIT102464BA1339 and Kingston KVR1333D3E9SK2/16G & KVR16N11K2/16.

I was looking for a recommendation.

Thanks in advance.

Joe_Miner

Hi MaverickBane and Welcome to the Forums.

Over on our thread "MicroServer HardWare Links" we have a number of links to RAM Threads that discuss the 16GB upgrades as well as many other interesting "stuff"

you can check my Sig below -- The Kingston ECC 16GB KVR1333D3E9SK2/16G has proven very reliable for me while the G. Skill is Solid in two of my machines but problematic sometimes in a third.   I believe CKenney has very good luck with the Crucial -- check the threads to see which part # he and SBS Diva are using in their machines.

RAM
Wikia     RAM Discussions  RAM for MicroServer,  Anyone using 2x8 kits,  N40L RAM Compatibility,  SBS Diva using 16GB,  16GB RAM Ideas for MicroServer

• Like 1

maverickbane

Hi Joe. I stumbled across that link whilst searching. I'll have a read. Thanks.

For a non-prod home server, is spending more on ECC ram necessary?

MicroMatt

Hey Maverick,

I recently picked up an N54L and picked up 16GB of Corsair CMV16GX3M2A and it seems to be working fine (plenty of reboots). I think it goes without saying YMMV but the impression I get from reading everything I could find is that the n54l might be a bit more tolerant when it comes to going up to 16GB. I should note much like you this is a non-prod home lab running on Windows 2012 with hyper-v for test images.

Let us know what you end up going with. 

ikon

Agreed MicroMatt; there seem to be many fewer issues with 16GB in the N54L.

HappyCamp

I bought the Kingston KVR1333D3E9SK2/16G and it worked in my HP N54L.  16GB shows up in BIOS and in FreeNAS.

ikon

Excellent. It seems pretty clear that something got fixed between the N40L & N54L.

Joe_Miner

@ikon -- you forget that Just Checking went thru 3 16GB RAM sets and finally found a 4th set that would work on his N54L -- I'd be very cautious recommending people jump on 16GB with out first making sure they check on what is most successful for others and that they understand that even then it may not work on their specific machine.  YMMV.

I certainly wouldn't put 16GB in a machine I'm using for production -- i.e. protecting my valuable data.  8GB ECC is the only way to go to max out a production machine IMHO.

• Like 1

ikon

Thanks for the clarification JM. Just to be clear, I'm not trying to say any & all RAM will work in the N54L, only that the N54L seems a lot more tolerant than the other MicroServers, so something seems to have changed since the N40L. I'm also not recommending people go to 16GB; just that success is more likely with an N54L.

As for production use, I think I would make that decision based on a case by case basis. For example, if I was installing an N54L into a lawyer's office, where they depend heavily on centralized storage, I wouldn't even consider using 16GB. OTOH, if I was installing an N54L into a situation where centralized storage would be useful but not essential, and where the staff that use computers can continue working from files on their local computers, then I wouldn't worry about it so much.

jmwills

You need 16GB RAM for a file server?