RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
maverickbane

VMware vSphere 5.1 on N54L

maverickbane

Hi Guys. I'm new to the whole virtualisation and microserver arena so please go easy.

I recently purchased a N54L and out of the box my plan was to install a virtualisation hypervisor then a guest os, ubuntu server.

So I'm trying to install VMware vSphere 5.1 on the N54L, but cannot get it to boot off the USB.

I downloaded the vSphere ISO and installed it onto a USB pen using unetbootin, then put the pen into the internal USB port on the N54L. But when it boots, it goes the a screen looping with the message, " Boot failed, continue to look for Boot Media. Wait for input.....". Makes me think that it doesn't see the USB pen.

I then put the USB pen into my imac and was able to boot into the ESXi installer there no problem. So I put a USB pen with Ubuntu server ISO which I had into the N54L and was able to boot into the installer on the N54L too.

It just seems that when I try to load the ESXi USB on the N54L it doesn't see it.

From the guys who've done this, am I missing something obvious here?

Thanks,

Frustrated Newbie  :(

jmwills

More than likely, it is failing because of an incompatible NIC card.

schoondoggy

Do you have any cards in the N54L?

maverickbane

No cards. I currently just have the VGA, power, keyboard and USB pen connected. No Ethernet cable.

jmwills

If the NIC is not VM compatible, the install will fail.  Period.

maverickbane

Ok. But I'm not getting to the installer. I have the ESXi USB plugged in and USB set to the primary boot object in BIOS, but it just skips it and goes to the 'boot failed. Continue to look for boot media..." loop. Do I need to enable/disable anything in BIOS or anything specific to the ESXi USB?

jmwills

Try a different stick

schoondoggy

Ok. But I'm not getting to the installer. I have the ESXi USB plugged in and USB set to the primary boot object in BIOS, but it just skips it and goes to the 'boot failed. Continue to look for boot media..." loop. Do I need to enable/disable anything in BIOS or anything specific to the ESXi USB?

go into the bios and move the usb to the first in boot order.

jmwills

I would have thought the BIOS would have scanned all devices available.

maverickbane

Finally got the N54L to recognise the USB. Turns out that when I created the thumb drives using the dd command on the OSX, it created a logical partition on the drives. This must have remained when I recreated them using uunetbootin.

So today I noticed and wiped the partitions using diskpart on windows and recreated the boot thumb drives using lili.

So good for now, until I come across my next install error.

Thanks for the pointers guys.