RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Unattended USB installation on hyper-v VM?

ccreviston74

Any one know how to do the equivalent of an unattended USB installation on a hyper-v VM. You're supposed to be able to put cfg.ini file and the installation files on a USB and boot from that, but can't boot from usb drive on a VM. Can you do the same thing by creating a virtual CD (vcd) or virtual floppy disk (vfd) and mounting to the VM? If so, how you create a (.vcd) file and copy files to it?

Or, do you have to create an xml file and inject it into the iso - even more above my head. As you can tell, I've done enough reading to be dangerous.

Any help appreciated

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

I think you have got slightly confused about where the cfg.ini file needs to be-you don't have to have it on the bootable media. If you were doing this with a physical server you would have (maybe) a boot DVD and a second USB stick with the cfg.ini file on the root of it. In fact you really need to make sure that the boot order in the bios is internal hard drive, then DVD and then the USB stick. The system works by booting off the DVD it then searches for any attached devices with a valid cfg.ini file which it reads and then proceeds to install.

So for a virtual machine build, you would have your VHD file ready to install onto, an ISO image of the system you want to install (windows server 2011) and (and this is where I have to admit I've never had the need to try this so it's a bit of speculation) another VHD file already formatted and setup with the cfg.ini file on it.

I'm wondering if you had these mounted up on the virtual machine and started it up it might work. I suspect you would need to be careful of the boot order on the VHD files IDE 0 for the main one and IDE 1 for the small one with the config file on it.

Interesting experiment though.

John 

Guest no-control

Problem #1 - you cannot boot from a USB in Hyper-V

What you want is the cfg.ini added to the .iso image. Use a program like imgburn to grab the contents off the original disk/iso file and add the modified cfg.ini to it. Then have the VM boot off the new .iso.

Here is a cfg.ini to get you started

Thanks for all the info, and sorry for the redundant post. Trying to figure out a) a solution to my 160 GB problem on my WHS VHD, and B) how to set up an unattended install for a while VM. Hopefully the solutions are one in the same, but that's why I split them.

Anyway, I have the cfg.ini file I need, and I have imageburn, and have used it many times to put downloaded iso files on DVD. I'm just not sure how to put the cfg.ini file in there and burn it to an iso on a vhd or vcd, but I'll give it a shot. Had also read that you needed an xml file inserted into the iso.

I guess I copy the contents of the installation disk to my hard drive, then throw the cfg.ini answer file in there, and burn it all back into an iso file?

Sounds like I could also keep the two separate, and mount them both to the VM - maybe one as a DVD and one as a virtual floppy?

Let me know if I'm anywhere close to on the right track.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2