RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Client hyper-v help

ccreviston74

Working on installing WHS 2011 as a VM on Client Hyper-v on a Windows 8 host. I want to use an 80gb dynamic VHD on my system SSD so I don't eat up so much expensive SSD space. I have instructions on how to set up an unattended USB installation that will circumvent the 160 GB HDD requirement that WHS has, but can't figure out how to get it to work with a VM, since there's no way to boot a VM from a USB flash drive.

I think the key is in creating a virtual CD (.vcd) file with the cfg.ini answer file and the installation (.iso) file, but not sure how to go about creating one. Or, do I just need to put the cfg.ini file in a virtual floppy (.vfd) file and use the installation CD. Not sure how to do that either.

Or, do you have to create an xml file and inject it into the iso - even more above my head.

I'm learning as I go, and have already successfully installed WHS in a 160 GB VHD, just not happy with the partition size, particularly the 99 GB D: partition it creates for storage, that I'm not going to use due to my 4 TB pool. Would also be handy to have the unattended installation file available, since I can't snapshot my VM due to the pass through storage disks.

Any help appreciated.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Edited by ccreviston74

Working on installing WHS 2011 as a VM on Client Hyper-v on a Windows 8 host. I want to use an 80gb dynamic VHD on my system SSD so I don't eat up so much expensive SSD space. I have instructions on how to set up an unattended USB installation that will circumvent the 160 GB HDD requirement that WHS has, but can't figure out how to get it to work with a VM, since there's no way to boot a VM from a USB flash drive. I think the key is in creating a virtual CD (.vcd) file with the cfg.ini answer file and the installation (.iso) file, but not sure how to go about creating one. Or, do I just need to put the cfg.ini file in a virtual floppy (.vfd) file and use the installation CD. Not sure how to do that either. Or, do you have to create an xml file and inject it into the iso - even more above my head. I'm learning as I go, and have already successfully installed WHS in a 160 GB VHD, just not happy with the partition size, particularly the 99 GB D: partition it creates for storage, that I'm not going to use due to my 4 TB pool. Would also be handy to have the unattended installation file available, since I can't snapshot my VM due to the pass through storage disks. Any help appreciated. Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

I'm not sure I'm understanding the problem -- with dynamic disks you could set your VHDX to 1TB and while it would partition it into a C: & D: partition it still would only take up the physical space on your VM drive that there is actual data -- i.e. only 20-30 GB total for WHS2011.  Your D: partition wouldn't take up any real physical space as long as you didn't store anything there.

I think you're over-thinking this.  Just set your VHD or VHDX to dynamic and size it anything 160GB or over and install your OS.

I would suggest that you don't install VM drives onto your Host OS Drive -- best practice would be to have a seperate drive for your VM's and then you can just pass thru your Data Drives to WHS2011.

Edited by Joe_Miner

Okay, thanks for the reply. So you think I should leave it at 160 GB dynamic, and just don't use it for storage and keep it clean.

FYI, it is on a separate disk from the host. Windows 8 is installed on a 120 GB SSD, and I have a separate 256 GB SSD for VHDs, and various HDDs for pass through for my DrivePool. I still have the VM and snapshot files set for the default location on the host OS drive. Should I move those as well?

Regardless of my current situation, does anyone have any guidance on setting up vcd files for installations? I do plan to play with additional VMs down the road, working with downloaded iso files, and would prefer not to have to burn them all to disks.

Sent from my Motorola Photon using Tapatalk 2

Seems like we have two parallel threads going and I left a bad message in the other thread and just deleted it.

What I was going to suggest is that if you already have WHS2011 running, you can turn it into a VHD using the method I described here:

http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/4647-how-to-virtualize-a-whs2011-install-into-hyper-v-easily/

It's a bit round about but it worked and seems to be running fine months later. I just checked and the entire VM is 47GB. Might have been able to squeeze it a little more, but it wasn't that crucial.