RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

APC UPS: Compare/Contrast Grid Junction with using APC PowerChute for WHS

tinkererguy

well this throws a little wrench into my grand plans to install Grid Junction this weekend! I too anxiously await any comparison users can offer.

Maybe some Grid Junction users can weigh in. If anyone's had an experience where Grid Junction had to shut down their server, can they say how it went?

We had a bad storm 2 weeks ago that knocked out my power. Grid Junction running on my EX485 connected to an APC UPS. My server and other network equipment are in the basement and I could hear the UPS beeping because the power was out. By the time I shut down everything else in my house and got to the basement at least 10 minutes had passed. I was pleasantly surprised the server had already powered down and the only things still running off the battery backup were my router and broadband radio.

Anyone tested the APC software yet?? I have had my server on a APC UPS since I built it a year ago, but Never installed any software. Power is pretty stable here, and never goes out for more than a few seconds. But I would like to install one of these two add-ins.

• 3 weeks later...

dvn asked if I am using APC PowerChute. Yes on laptop, just to turn off the battery alarm though. But no, haven't tried the WHS version at all.

Was worried about installing it though, since I heard that Grid Junction replaces some Windows UPS related files and don't want to mess with testing now, with live data on my "production" WHS so I don't want a dirty shutdown.

So still wondering if anybody has some APC PowerChute for WHS experience to share, with or without prior use of Grid Junction. Thank you!

I don't see any specific mention that the APC software is an Add-In. Requires a login to download it. The software was published on Jan 15, 2009 so Im thinking it's a RDP install. My Grid Junction performs as advertised. I install it for clients too. Its a required install for me.

• 2 months later...

Looking on the APC web site under server 2003, the way i read it,they have a problem with the software. Stick with Grid Junction. It’s been working for me for over a year.

Ron