RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Windows Server Client Computer Backup Service -Stopped Automatic

Renny

Need some help here guys.

As the title suggests, I cannot get this service to start.(WSE2012)

Checked destination drive; all ok with plenty of room.

All client backups are failing to initiate.

Only recent issue was that server backup drive was full, but has been replaced with another drive and all OK now.

Several reboots to no avail

All other services are working fine and no previous issues with backup.

Any ideas?

Edited by Renny

Delete the existing backups?

Also, check C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Server\Logs for the backup log files. there may be clue there as to why it's failing.

Thanks Drashna, found this:

Error code: 38 API name: unexpected EOF File: G:\ServerFolders\Client Computer Backups\Commit.dat Error: 38

Does this provide any clues?

Renny, an unexpected EOF can often be caused by a corrupted file. For example, if a program expects to find a certain line in a file (e.g. SourceDir=c:\windows), and that line is not there, the program could try reading the file to get that line and run into the end of the file, leading to the error you got. This is not the only way an unexpected EOF can happen but, if you think about it, it makes a lot of sense.

Delete the existing backups?

Also, check C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Server\Logs for the backup log files. there may be clue there as to why it's failing.

Well its got to the point where I might have to consider deleting the existing client backups, but how do I do this if the Client computer backup service wont start?

I tried 3 times to restore the windows server folder from backup and it failed each time.

Other errors are now appearing too which is pushing me toward a total reinstall of the OS. At least all the hardware is working fine.

No I didn't. too late now as I blew away my server backups when I added a disk and set up a storage pool for backup.

Might see if there is a repair option on the install ISO and boot to that.