RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Backup server

marky9074

I was just wondering what to do with the old SBS 2003 server that I pulled off site. I am wondering if I could configure this as an off site spare and use robocopy scripts to keep it up to date. Can you actually have more than one 2012E on a domain? I know that on SBS it would detect another server and shut down....

What happens when you use the technet license and the grace period runs out? Any ideas would be much appreciated. Whilst I have redundancy and backups coming out of my ears, I am wondering what happens if there is a catastrophic failure or fire. It would take me a while to get the off site backups restored and everything going again. Would be much easier to grab the 'spare server' and would be up again in minutes....

You can add other servers to the Domain, but the 2012E box can be the on DC on the network, AFAIK.

I believe that adding 2012E to an existing domain is supported but not if the existing DC is also 2012E, i.e. a bit like 'Highlander' - There can be only one!

Now what I suppose you could try is to build a 2012E server as a new DC on a new domain and then demote it and remove all the AD binaries, ie turn it into a member server. I have a feeling this will break all sorts of stuff though. Add the member server to the domain and see if you can add the AD roles and DCPromo it - it'll either work or produce a horrible mess and I wouldn't like to speculate as to which it'll be!

Now if this works, you'll need to add the DNS and DHCP roles, configure DNS to replicate to it, set up DHCP but then deactivate it (until needed), make it a Global Catalog server and see if AD properly replicates to it. 

Now as it is a DC it'll need to talk regularly with the first DC but as you (presumably) want it off-site for disaster recovery, you'll need to set up some kind of permanent VPN connection between the two, and set up sites and proper site replication. At this point. you have an off-site replica of active directory which you could take to wherever in the event of a complete loss.

Now as for replicating data, the best method is probably DFS replication but that mean you'll need to setup DFS on the original server as well which isn't hard and does confer a number of useful advantages.

What won't work? Well I can't see Remote Web Access for one working as all the certificates would be wrong, not to mention that 2012E is (I think) a certificate authority so that would be a bit problematic.

All this supposes that the old SBS box is up to the task anyway - I'd suspect that it's probably too old and slow anyway to make it all worthwhile. How are you backing up the existing 2012E server? If it's Windows Server Backup then this produces VHD files which in theory you could mount in Hyper-V and be up and running quite quickly.

John

I think there is a fairly inelegant way you can accomplish at least most of what you want. You could set up a 2nd WSE2012 server and then disconnect it's OS drive. Then use another drive in that same box to set up a WHS2011, or something similar, set up a data pool, and get the data from your main server backing up to the 'WHS2011' box.

In an emergency, you could then bring the WSE2012 'backup' drive back online, import the data pool drives, and away you go. It certainly won't be perfect (e.g. new accounts set up on the main server would not be replicated to the backup :( ), but it would take much less time to get back up than it would to copy all the data from backup to a new server.

Just a thought....

I thought I read somewhere about promoting essentials to standard and retaining the essentials tools and dashboard etc? Maybe that is an option, albeit an expensive one. Then have a 2012e as the back up server..  

At the moment I am just using windows server backup and rotating the backups daily.

Guest no-control

I've done some testing with this it seems 2012e is fine with other DCs as long as its the primary. I created my 2012e DC set AD then added a 2012 server to the domain then set it up to be a secondary DC. It worked. So for giggles I set up the 2012 box as RODC. So If you want an offsite DC for replication I would do it that way.

Now that being said if you looking for an offsite backup why not just install a spare license of whatever you have lying around and use crashplan for a site to site back up. I detailed how I'm doing this here. I've since upgraded the hardware but same concept.

I've done some testing with this it seems 2012e is fine with other DCs as long as its the primary. I created my 2012e DC set AD then added a 2012 server to the domain then set it up to be a secondary DC. It worked. So for giggles I set up the 2012 box as RODC. So If you want an offsite DC for replication I would do it that way.

Now that being said if you looking for an offsite backup why not just install a spare license of whatever you have lying around and use crashplan for a site to site back up. I detailed how I'm doing this here. I've since upgraded the hardware but same concept.

That's a great idea. I do actually have a few Win 7 licenses lying around..

I did wonder about setting up a workstation as a pseudo server as really once their data is there, the only other critical thing is MS SQL server, which could be installed stand alone. It means that they could at least continue working in a fashion whilst the server was rebuilt/replaced.

Edited by marky9074

Interesting that WSE2012 can co-exist with other DCs.

It's the same as the situation with SBS 2003 and 2011. You could have additional DCs as long as they were full server installs (not another SBS box) and the SBS held all of the FSMO roles.

A few other limitations to do with SBS had to be in a forest root domain but I guess the logic was it you were dealing with a situation which merited child domains anyway then you probably weren't going to be using SBS!

John