RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Hdhomerun issue within vm

2percenter

Hi, I have a windows 7 vm which i user for tv recordings. The tuner is a hdhomerun and it worke perfect until approx 2 weeks ago, since then it doesnt record properly any more. Media center creates the recording, but there is no video the whole recording is just black.

It looks like it started from one moment to the other, i have a show recorded and in the middle video stops and the screen keeps black. Audio is missing as well.

I have reinstalled since then and tried it with a new vm, same issue. Installed the latest hdhomerun drivers, no luck.

The vm runs under esxi 5.01.

Anybody using hdhomeruns in a vm an recording is still working ?

By the way hd quick tv worked before, but now its s howing a lot of artefact in the vm...the hd homerun does work with a physical installation.

Regards

So you confirmed the HD homerun works with a physical installation.  Did you confirm both live TV and recording?

How about your VM?  Are you able to watch live TV using your VM?  It sounds like a network issue.  The artifacts are indicating missing data.

What is the hardware you are using for your VM?  How many other VM's are running?  How many ethernet ports are there?  Any chance you have something that is using up your network bandwidth?

Yes, homerun works with an physical device, both live tv and recording.

Not able to watch live tv via vm, this was never possible with media center as it detects the remote desktop session, but the hd quick tv worked in the past.

The box is a supermicro x9scmf with intel xeon 1230 v2 and 16gb ecc ram. There are enough resources left, no cpu or memory bottlenecks.

No hardware setup changed at all, it stopped working during a recording as it looks like :-(

The vm is connected to a vswitch with a dual intel nic.

While talking about, i added the dual nic during the time it stopped working, let me try movin back to a single nic for that vswitch...

Thanks for the inspiration, will post the result later

hey cskenney, you are my superhero...I created a new Vswitch , assigned one nic and only that Windows 7 VM and TATA its working ;-)

Well done, thanks for the network hint !

Regads

I guess I found the root of the problem, UNTANGLE !

I had to enable promiscuous mode on the vswitch as I started using UNTANGLE in Bridge mode. Seems I have to switch to a routed solution,,,,

Regards

Glad to hear you figured it out.  Sometimes all it takes is to start discussing a problem with others to make you realize where to start looking.