RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

SSD Recommendations for a Dell D620 core 2 Duo?

capall

Hi all

I have a 3-4 yr old Dell latitude D620 that I'd like to get a bit more use out of but I need to replace its hard drive. Is it worth getting a small SSD (maybe 64G or 128G) vs a standard 250GB blue scorpio drive, and if so any suggestions. It shipped with XP but I have win7 I can install instead this time round...I assume thats also a good idea?

Thanks

derek

You'll like what an SSD does for your system. Windows 7 over XP for sure.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

Both are good ideas IMHO. Get the largest SSD you can afford. The more programs you can squeeze onto the SSD, as opposed to a secondary HDD, the better the performance. I had a 120GB SSD in my main Win7 desktop and swapped it out for an Intel 240.

BTW, be careful about which brand of SSD you get. Search these forums; there's lots of info about it. Basically, stick with major name brands. My 1st preference is for Intel, with OCZ 2nd, then Corsair and SanDisk.

I keep all my data on my whs2011 so not to worried about a large drive. Thanks for the suggestions,

derek

We have SSD's in both our laptops. Both have 128gb drives and we keep all media on our server. Right now, we both have around 50gb left on our drives. So I would suggest getting the 128gb as 64gb would be just a little too small. My laptop has a Samsung SSD and our other is a Micron, both factory installed by Lenovo. So far, they have been trouble free for the last year to year and a half we have had them. Accourding to SSD Life, my drive has 10y, 5m, 2days left till it dies.

I will never own another primary computer without an SSD. It pains me to use my work laptop with equal specs to my home laptop with a standard Lenovo installed spindle drive. Pains me.

I keep all my data on my whs2011 so not to worried about a large drive. Thanks for the suggestions,

derek

1. Where is that data backed up?
  2. Yes, a 128 gig should be okay for your immediate needs if all data is directed to the server.  See question #1

Stick with the intel drives for now.  As they do not make the 330 go with the 520,  The other drive that gets rave review but I have do not have one is the Samsung.

Just to clarify, I do not keep any data on the SSD in my main Win7 desktop; it's all programs. By the time I got Adobe Creative Suite Production Premium, LightRoom, the full office 2007 suite, plus a bunch of other programs, I found a 120GB SSD a bit on the small side; hence the Intel 240. I always find I need more disk space in the end than I anticipate in the beginning. :)