RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Recommendation for File Integrity Checker?

cbradley

I am thinking though my backup strategy and am concerned about file integrity during backup as well as afterwards, related to bit rot. The Mac platform has a great utility called IntegrityChecker (http://diglloydtools.com/integritychecker.html), but unfortunately the developer does not have a Windows or Windows Server version available. It looks like there are several options available for Windows, but reviews/evaluations of the products seem to be hard to come by. Can anyone recommend a program similar to IntegrityChecker? Ideally it would run on both Windows 7/8 and Windows Server 2012 Essentials (future build).

Thank you ahead of time for your comments and suggestions.

Bit rot?  Never heard of such.  Checking the integrity of backups is fine, but until you actually restore from a backup, you never really know if they are good or not.

I think the idea is to periodically read through the files in the server's storage pool, to ensure that files that have been there a long time, unused and unchanged, are still good; that a sector holding some of the files' data hasn't gone bad. It's not a bad idea but I have another option.

cbradley, why not look into running Stablebit Scanner on your systems? It will check the drives themselves, at the sector/cluster level, and ensure they're readable.

@diehard - Thank you for the suggestion. Have you tried it by chance? It sounds great, but there isn't much in the way of reviews or user feedback. I may give it a try once I have the server up and running.

@jmwills - I may not have the term correct, but the concern is that from time to time bit errors occur through either a faulty copy, hardrive errors/degradation, etc. The utility can tell you whether or not your file has been changed (corrupted) after a copy and later to validate.

@ikon - I'm running raid at the present and I don't believe Stablebit Scanner will work through raid. I'm thinking of running drivepool in the future, in part to be able to use scanner. Scanner looks to be a great piece of software.

I should say also, thank you all for your input so far.

I think the idea is to periodically read through the files in the server's storage pool, to ensure that files that have been there a long time, unused and unchanged, are still good; that a sector holding some of the files' data hasn't gone bad. It's not a bad idea but I have another option.

cbradley, why not look into running Stablebit Scanner on your systems? It will check the drives themselves, at the sector/cluster level, and ensure they're readable.

You are exactly right. Key is to exercise those sectors regularly. The drives will take care of swapping out the weak sectors if you give it a chance to see them. I have done this for years and it really works well. I know it works because when a drive does die, even SpinRite can longer recover them. My recovery success rate with SpinRite is exactly 0%!

I have a license for Integrity Checker and found it a good idea when I first purchased it on my v1. Unfortunately, the program was over-taxing my Mediasmart server and checking too a long time. So this was only feasible for use with my most valuable documents. I never installed it on my WS2012E. Don't get me wrong, I think it's a good program, I just no longer have a need for it.

BTW Scanner also works with DriveBender; I have this running without issues.

Edited by revengineer

That's interesting. It's an alternative to SpinRite that I've been considering for a while. One of the issues, of course, is that things like Stablebit Scanner don't work with RAID arrays. I wonder how Integrity Checker would tax my system?