RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
BeerBaron

2TB HD Roundup

BeerBaron

Today I came across an interesting review of various WD, Seagate, and Samsung 2TB hard drives on hothardware.com.

The review puts the hard drives in action by comparing them in various tests. They also break down the hard drives into low-cost, performance, and enterprise categories which is good because let's face it... I don't think most of us will be running enterprise level HDs in a home server.

It was interesting to see how some of my 2TB hard drives fared in the tests and it gave me something to think about for my next purchase.

Hope some of you guys out there find this as useful as me!

http://hothardware.com/Articles/Definitive-2TB-Hard-Drive-Roundup/

wodysweb

Too bad Hitachi wasn't a part of the review, the Hitachi drives are the ones of choice for most enthusiasts lately, the guys over at [H]ard|Forum love those drives.

Alvin Ramard

I bought an Hitachi for $139 2 weeks ago. I wish it had been in the review.

cskenney

My take-a-way from that review:
If you need disk access speed (like on a desktop PC) then stick with the higher end drives (not the green drives).

If you are looking for a more ECO friendly drive to reduce your power usage and you are willing to trade off some performance, the green drives aren't that far behind their more expensive brothers.

ikon

cskenny, I totally agree. I've been going with greens the last while. Sorry wodysweb, I've had too many bad experiences with Hitachi drives; I don't touch them anymore. Do they run as hot as they did 5 years ago?

Guest no-control

Those Hitachi drives are pretty loud. But they do perform great for a decent price. Honestly for me if I want a nice storage drive and don't need the performance I would just use a WD GP. I don't see a need for a 2TB performance drive unless it is your system drive. Either use an SSD/Data setup or just use VRaptors

For a server I don't see any benefits to fast drives. Access times in a WHS shouldn't be that laggy

ImTheTypeOfGuy

The last four drives I have bought have been hitachi. NOt a single problem with any of them. They work great for me and I don't think they are loud at all.

pcdoc

<p>Those Hitachi drives are pretty loud. But they do perform great for a decent price. Honestly for me if I want a nice storage drive and don't need the performance I would just use a WD GP. I don't see a need for a 2TB performance drive unless it is your system drive. Either use an SSD/Data setup or just use VRaptors</p><p>For a server I don't see any benefits to fast drives. Access times in a WHS shouldn't be that laggy</p>

I agree with No-Control. The drives are not loud, but they are louder than say the WD green drives. You do not really need max performance, you low noise, reliability, low vibration, and low power consumption.

joem

I have 2 HITACHI Deskstar 7K1000.C HDS721010CLA332 (0F10383) 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb and they are significantly louder than any drive I have in my shop. I put these drives in a machine that is out of the way and the noise is not an issue.

pcdoc

If your system is out of the way, then the only real consideration is power.