RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Synology DS213+ Opinion

joem

I would appreciate some advice.  I am not familiar with Synology prodcuts.  I have an architect company that wants to allow their three users to access the AutoCAD files from their homes remotely.  I was thinking a Synology DS213+ would be just the ticket.  I would have the autocad files on it for them to remote access and use a RAID 1 setup with two Western Digital Blacks for performance as opposed to Red drives.  What do you guys think or recommed differently?  Thanks. 

Edited by joem

I am running a IOSafe NAS which I think is the same internals as a DS213+.

I don't think you would see any difference between Red and Black drives, especially if this will mainly be accessed remotely.

Will each user have there own set of files or will they be working on the same files? I always wonder about file sharing issues and permission.

How big are the files? Have they considered storing them in the cloud? 

Synology makes great products, but depending on the size and the use case a cloud based solution could be an alternative.

AutoCad files are pretty big, but I don't think that will be an issue.  The three users will be sharing the same files out to a folder called....you guessed it...AutoCad files!  Anyway,  they will all have full permissions.  What would be a good cloud based service to store these files on so they can work on them?  I know they don't want to copy them from the cloud, work on them and save them back to the cloud again.  At least I don't think.  They just want to open their AutoCad software go tot file and open just like they would as if they were at the office locally.  They are currently stored on a files sharing computer that they have a mapped drive to.  Of course I would transfer them to the Synology box or this cloud service you mentioned.  But what cloud service would you recommend to do this with?  Thanks.

Many services could be set up for three users to share, Google drive, Dropbox, Syncplicity, Copy.com,,,,

For personal use I use Microsoft Skydrive. When I am going to edit a Visio file I have stored in Skydrive, it gets downloaded to my local machine toopen it. I believe the same would be true of Synology or an drive share being accessed remotely. 

One of the question of putting files in a cloud service is security.

You may want to put a test Autocad file in Google drive, give all three access and see how it works.

I'll try them out and let you know how it goes.  It would be a lot less expensive to use one of those services also. Thanks much. 

I found out those services will let you open the files with the autocad software and work with the files, but when you try to save changes the only option you have is to save the file to your computer rather than saving the changes to the file in the cloud.  If you click on save after changing the file you have accessed from the cloud the only option is saving to the computers hard drive with the autocad software.  I think I will go ahead and use Hamachi VPN that Logmein has available.  I should have thought of that in the first place come to think about it. 

Several of the cloud services include a feature that automatically syncs a folder to a computer.  The programs on the computer think they are modifying a local file, and then the service automatically sends the changes back up to the cloud storage.  I'm not sure how well it works with large files such as AutoCAD drawings, I don't know if it needs to upload the entire file at once or if it only sends changes.  A VPN-type service would let you store the files locally at the office and then access them as if you were accessing a file over the network normally.  When working with large files there may be latency/speed issues with the connections involved that make it difficult to use.  At work we have VPN access for things, and I know several of the mechanical engineers have used Pro/EE at home, but find it very difficult to use at times due to the latency caused by using a VPN connection.  I don't know if the same will apply to using AutoCAD in a similar environment or not.

No matter what you do, at some point you'll have an issue with either maintaining a connection to the network drive, or two people modifying the same file offline and trying to resolve the differences correctly.

I'll get back to you on the size of the files.  It may be a couple of days.  I have to notify the customer that I will have to test the vpn with sample drawings.  Also I will offer him two solutions.  The Synology or the Hamachi.  I will go from there.  But latency could be an issue with either.  Autocad also has a service called Autocad 360. That could be a third solution.  Check it out.  It works on computers and mobile devices.

Edited by joem