RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
jrandeck

OS shows RAID volume as full when it isn't

jrandeck

I've run into a strange problem.  A few months ago I set up a RAID 5 array on a Highpoint 2720 card.  I went to copy files to the array the other day and I couldn't because the volume was full.   I have 5 3TB drives, so ~12 TB total space and there's < 4 TB of data on the array.

I ran chkdsk without the auto-fix option and it gives me what appear to be the correct numbers for space used, but if I try to use it to fix the problem it never finishes.  I've let it run for over 48 hours, but it just seems to get stuck.

Are there any better tools for fixing file system issues on a RAID volume?

jmwills

Someone else posted a similar issue the other day.  Check  see how Volume Shadow Copies are configured.

pcdoc

I would check two things, First check what jmwills mention and check the disk manager for how much of the array is allocated.  Did you by any chance expand this array or was it created with 12T out of the gate?  There are only three reasons you would see this.  The array is not correctly (fully) partitioned, there are a bunch of hidden files (Shadow copies), or a drive is bad (check your highpoint console).

jrandeck

Thanks for the replies.

Shadow copies were enabled, but there were only 3GB of shadow copies.  Disabling that freed up that much space.   I did expand the array, but also expanded the partition.  Disk manager shows the volume size at 11177.63 GB.

I don't see any error messages in the Highpoint console.  

I have had some issues with the server, though.  A couple of times my server has gone down and the screen was black with a message like "Unable to write to log file" (that may not be the exact wording) continuously scrolling up the screen.  I can't find any errors in the Highpoint console or event log to indicate what the problem might have been.  I don't know if it's related to the RAID array, but I never saw that until after the array had been running for a while.

Another bit of information (maybe this is a bad idea, let me know): I have WHS 2011 running in a Hyper-V VM on Windows Server 2008 R2.  The RAID volume is marked offline in Server 2008 and passed through as a disk to WHS.  Maybe I need to share the array from the host?  

Chkdsk is showing file system errors, it just can't seem to fix them.  Here's the output I get:

F:\>chkdsk
The type of the file system is NTFS.
Volume label is RAID volume.

WARNING!  F parameter not specified.
Running CHKDSK in read-only mode.

CHKDSK is verifying files (stage 1 of 3)...
  400640 file records processed.
File verification completed.
  0 large file records processed.
  0 bad file records processed.
  0 EA records processed.
  0 reparse records processed.
CHKDSK is verifying indexes (stage 2 of 3)...
  447870 index entries processed.
Index verification completed.
CHKDSK is scanning unindexed files for reconnect to their original directory.
Detected orphaned file Rotate4.ico (400484), should be recovered into directory
file 400479.
Detected orphaned file Rotate5.ico (400485), should be recovered into directory
file 400479.
Detected orphaned file Rotate6.ico (400486), should be recovered into directory
file 400479.
Detected orphaned file Rotate7.ico (400487), should be recovered into directory
file 400479.
Detected orphaned file Rotate8.ico (400488), should be recovered into directory
file 400479.
Detected orphaned file Save.ico (400489), should be recovered into directory fil
e 400479.
Detected orphaned file Setup.ico (400490), should be recovered into directory fi
le 400479.
Detected orphaned file SYSREQ~1.ICO (400491), should be recovered into directory
 file 400479.
Detected orphaned file SysReqMet.ico (400491), should be recovered into director
y file 400479.
Detected orphaned file SYSREQ~2.ICO (400492), should be recovered into directory
 file 400479.
Detected orphaned file SysReqNotMet.ico (400492), should be recovered into direc
tory file 400479.
Detected orphaned file stop.ico (400493), should be recovered into directory fil
e 400479.
  11 unindexed files scanned.
Detected orphaned file warn.ico (400494), should be recovered into directory fil
e 400479.
  0 unindexed files recovered.
CHKDSK is verifying security descriptors (stage 3 of 3)...
  400640 file SDs/SIDs processed.
Security descriptor verification completed.
  23616 data files processed.
CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal...
  1416 USN bytes processed.
Usn Journal verification completed.
The Volume Bitmap is incorrect.
Windows found problems with the file system.
Run CHKDSK with the /F (fix) option to correct these.

11445884 MB total disk space.
   4322136 MB in 374710 files.
    614016 KB in 23617 indexes.
         0 KB in bad sectors.
    490943 KB in use by the system.
     65536 KB occupied by the log file.
   7122669 MB available on disk.

65536 bytes in each allocation unit.
 183134159 total allocation units on disk.
 113962716 allocation units available on disk.

F:\>

jem101

So you have a RAID-5 array on the 2008 R2 host and that it being passed through to the WHS 2011, the host sees it as off-line (that is normal behaviour, it the host brings it on-line it will vanish from the WHS). When you say you are copying files to the array, do you mean that you were copying files to the WHS?

OK two things, you say that disk manager sees it as ~12TB but is that disk manager on the host or on the WHS? Secondly, I'm a bit concerned if chkdsk if failing to repair the disks and a volume bitmap error really isn't a good thing to see on a RAID array. If at all possible, back it all up, delete the array in 2008R2, set if all up again and reformat. Off-line the array, pass it through to the VM and see how much space it sees.

I suspect that what has happened here is that the host sees the array with the full capacity and has passed it through but for some reason the WHS hasn't used all of it.

John

Edited by jem101

Technogod

Can you shutdown the WHS 2011 VM and run chkdsk /f from Windows Server 2008 R2? 

jmwills

This is exactly how my WHS is setup (array passed thru from the host) albeit Server 2012.  This is a one for one pass through, whatever the host sees, the guest will see.

So, if you bring the array back online with the host, reboot, how much free space does the host see?  If things are as they should be, I would start looking at the WHS installation.

jrandeck

OK, I shut down the WHS VM and brought the array on-line in Server 2008.   I ran chkdsk /f on the server (host) and it worked.  I brought the array back up in WHS and everything looks good.

So for the time being at least, I'm back in business.

Thanks for the suggestions.

jmwills

Glad to hear all is working as it should.

pcdoc

Glad you got it resolved.  One other thing I would do is make sure you have the latest drivers from highpoint if you have not already done as you are passing through the entire array and loading a drive on the VM, make sure it is the most current,