RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Grid Junction

byronomo

On Show #85, Dave mentioned Grid Junction as one of his favorite add-ins. How timely! We've had 2 or 3 power outages in our neighborhood in the past week. Thankfully, none of the outages outlasted my batteries.
I have APC UPSs on my WHS, clients, router, etc...

My question is: If I install Grid Junction, is there a way of having it shut down my external drive enclosure too, or is that not essential to protect data integrity?

I don't know this for sure, but I think if you plug your external drives into the same UPS as the WHS you will be ok.

My thinking (and I hope someone else chimes in) is the WHS is monitoring the UPS. When the battery reaches the limit you set, the server will shut down. Now, all that is left operating on battery are the external drives. Once your UPS has reached it's low battery limit it will shut itself down. Since the external drives are not being accessed (WHS is already off) there is no worry about disk access occurring during the shutdown.

Also, be sure your power supply for your external drive enclosure is plugged into a battery protected outlet on the UPS.

I must admit, I just tried grid junction and it is very impressive. Plan giving it a real test soon by shutting off the breakers.