RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

HP ProLiant Gen8 Microserver leaked specs

cskenney

Over at the OverClocker-Australia Board Pugsley_21 has one of the G8 Beta Units and has been describing it in detail.... 

http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showthread.php?t=958208&page=591

His only has one PCIe 16x Slot & 1 SATA port on the MB though other reports are saying there will be 2 x SATA III ports on the MB in addition to the SAS connector for the cage.  Pugsley's has a micro-sd card slot onboard -- of course he has tons of pictures he can't post yet :)

Monsta is the originator of the FB page that HP had taken down but he now has a new FB page up for Micro Enthusiasts

Pugsley says his Beta has the iLO Chip on the MB.

Over at the OverClocker-Australia Board Pugsley_21 has one of the G8 Beta Units and has been describing it in detail.... 

http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showthread.php?t=958208&page=591

His only has one PCIe 16x Slot & 1 SATA port on the MB though other reports are saying there will be 2 x SATA III ports on the MB in addition to the SAS connector for the cage.  Pugsley's has a micro-sd card slot onboard -- of course he has tons of pictures he can't post yet :)

Monsta is the originator of the FB page that HP had taken down but he now has a new FB page up for Micro Enthusiasts

Pugsley says his Beta has the iLO Chip on the MB.

I see that. It will be interesting to see what the final product is.

Interesting differences in chassis sizes. The ML310e chassis is quite different from the MicroServer. Also interesting that the former PCIe x1 slot in the MicroServer is now a x4 slot. That could make quite a difference.

The new G8 combined with a new Synology 1513+ would make a very powerful ESXi core for any SMB or home enthusiast.

Interesting differences in chassis sizes. The ML310e chassis is quite different from the MicroServer. Also interesting that the former PCIe x1 slot in the MicroServer is now a x4 slot. That could make quite a difference.

The ML310e is the traditional HP ML mid-tower case.

The only slot in the new MicroServer is a x16. The reference to the x4 was related to a slot to plug in the iLO card, but it appears the beta boxes have it on the motherboard.

As far as rumors we are piecing together.

There seems to be some buzz among the beta testers of the G8 MS that there is something else coming that will stack with the G8 MS. I did see a reference to the HP P222 RAID card being an option for the G8 MS. The P222 has a internal and external connector, 4 drives each. With the drop of the eSATA port I have to wonder if the P222 is the HP approved option for external connectivity. Perhaps the stacking device is a second four drive bay? P212's are available on eBay. 

The ML310e is the traditional HP ML mid-tower case.

The only slot in the new MicroServer is a x16. The reference to the x4 was related to a slot to plug in the iLO card, but it appears the beta boxes have it on the motherboard.

As far as rumors we are piecing together.

Hmmm, from the chart it does say a 1 x4 PCIe Gen 2 slot. I know it says it's dedicated to I/O Option Modules, but the Gen7 said the x1 slot is dedicated to the RAC, so I'm still wondering how it will actually play out. Not saying you're wrong; just keeping my fingers crossed :)