RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

WS2012E on N40L and SSD?

geeba

My WHS2011 is dying... the 250Gb disk that came with it is a mass of bad sectors and reallocations... thats the System drive, so I'm going to rebuild with 2012 Essentials.

I want to install the OS on an SSD, really for power, heat, space saving in the Microserver and of course speed!!! :) I know that there is a disk check on install and you can edit the .ini file to skip this... but can I run it on say a 64Gb Samsung SSD? I never install anything on the OS drive.. so all it will be holding is the 14 odd GB of the 2012 install....

Has anyone done this? will a drive of that size affect performance? the main file storage will be on Western Digital Reds - pointers appreciated.

I'm not so sure about speed.......except on a reboot and how often do you reboot?

I'm not so sure about speed.......except on a reboot and how often do you reboot?

Like he said, you probably won't notice much if any performance increase. Once the server has started up the most important things are CPU and disk IOPs on the volumes holding your data.

Cheers guys appreciate the replies... Will I get WS2012E on a 64Gb SSD thou? I cant find any info on running it on a drive that small... I didnt want to buy a 120+GB SSD as they are pretty expensive still and have 80% of it sat empty  :wacko:

Unfortunately the server does get powered down a little more than it should do really as we only have a small house and my Mrs complains that she can hear it... so the boot up speed will be good :D

Cheers guys appreciate the replies... Will I get WS2012E on a 64Gb SSD thou? I cant find any info on running it on a drive that small...-snip-

Hi Geebe!  Welcome to the Forums.

While I was able to install WHS-2011 fairly easily onto a 60GB SSD I was never successful at installing S2012E onto a 60GB SSD (I threw in the towel and used a 128GB Crucial M4 instead) but if you check these threads there are posters who said they were able to do it but again I haven’t tried their approaches.  My big concern would be to have a plan in place to recover if you OS drive later died.

Another approach to look into would be to install using a HDD > 90GB for your S2012E OS drive then when everything is fully updated and stable shut the machine down and take the OS HDD to a desktop where you could clone the OS Drive to the smaller SSD using Acronis True Image 2013 (go to resources and download their manual and read Chapter 8.5 about cloning a HD to see if that’s for you) => again, I’ve done lots of cloning’s with Win7 and WHS-2011 – all using Acronis TI 2012 but I haven’t done it with a S2012E (you need the 2013 version for Win8 and the S2012 family).

Have you considered using your SSD to re-install your WHS-2011 OS on? (I'm sure there's a very good reason but I had to ask)

Please let us know what you end up doing and any useful info for others who may want to try it.

• Like 1

WOW! Joe! your a legend! thanks for all the info!

Hmmm so I guess its spend alot of time messing about... or buy a slightly larger SSD.. I think I might just have to go with the larger drive. 8Gb of RAM turned up yesterday, so now just the drives to settle on.... 

I was a long time V1 WHS user and switched to 2011 when it came out.... but if I'm honest I've never really fallen for it like I did V1 :( 

I have access to 2012E through a TechNet account I have so I though a switch would be good... I have Win8 machines which I dont find too bad so thought 2012E was a good move... ?

• 3 months later...

As have I. I resized the partition, used Server Backup to ... back it up, and then boot off the install disk, did the repair option and restored to the SSD. Worked great. Was even aligned properly. :)