RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Drive Caddies

ITmaster

Hey guys,

Could anyone suggest some cheap 3.5" SATA HDD caddies that can fit into a 5 25" drive bay in black?

I live in UK so if they ship to the UK that would be great any something under

Here is an alternative. Not cheap but it will hold three drives in each so it may not be to bad. I have two of the second item listed below and they are awesome for a server. They fit in just about any 5.25 bay (uses three).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811995036&cm_re=lian_li-_-11-995-036-_-Product
OR
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811995035&cm_re=lian_li-_-11-995-035-_-Product

• 2 weeks later...

I just bought a HDD caddy today and realised it stated...

With speeds starting at 1.5GBps

Does this mean SATA 2 should be fine or its only going to support SATA 1?

Cheers
SATA caddy

The short answer: probably not.

Long answer: Based on those specs, there is no mention of SATA 2 or 3Mbps, so it probably does not support them. Most SATA caddies are passthrough setups with no inherent speed limitations. However, depending on the quality of the implementation, there may be crosstalk or attenuation at higher frequencies which will limit the useable speed. You will have to try it and see, but even if it looks like it is working, be aware that there may be data corruption from bad signalling which you will not be able to detect until you find corrupted files. I had a similar bay a long time ago which did exactly that, although it was an IDE bay.

A simple test that should suffice, copy a large file in, then use "fc /b" to compare the source and copied files. Repeat as many times as it takes for your peace of mind.

I'm sure it works fine at the rated 1.5Mbps speed, since they did publish that spec. Just be careful of running it at 3Mbps without extensive testing.

And of course I hope you have success and let us know how it goes.