RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Microserver N40L running Ubuntu Server with KVM + pfSense

wizzkidd

Hi Guys,

I've joined the Microserver team, allbeit a little too late to have cashed in on the bargins and cashback offers, I was able to scoop a N40L complete with 16GB RAM pre-installed from eBay for £200 (!!)

Rather than go through the history of my trials and fails, I am here now sitting beside my microserver.  The setup has a little more than I am about to describe, but the relevant info is as follows:

• Hardware: 16GB RAM, 2x 250GB HDD (for now), HP Dual Port 100/1000 NIC
  • O/S: Ubuntu Server 12.04.2 LTS
  • KVM Installed

Since I have a total of 3 Network Interfaces available, I teamed (bonded) 2 of the interfaces together.  These are both connected to my 100/1000 switch in load balancing mode (showing as 10.0.0.3).  The on-board NIC is connected to my modem (found on 192.168.0.1).

So my thinking is, effectively I have, what is seen as 2 interfaces.  1 is for WAN, and 1 is for LAN, right?

I created a VM and gave it 2 network cards which are each individually bridged sharing their 2 respective interfaces.

I booted the VM and installed pfSense, but now I'm confused with the interfaces and their IP's.  pfSense is reporting the following:

WAN -> re0 -> 10.0.0.105 (DHCP)
LAN -> re1 -> 192.168.1.1

From the terminal in Ubuntu, I can ping computers on my network (LAN) and I can ping external sites (WAN).  But I dont get a reply if I try to ping 10.0.0.105 or 192.168.1.1, also, using a workstation on my network, I cannot ping either of those 2 IP's.

This may have swayed from being directly microserver related, but the key association to bring it back on subject is the question - Must the microserver support hardware pass-through in order to support KVM (i.e. does the network have to be directly accessible by pfSense or is bridging the connection and sharing it in the VM efficient enough?).

Any guidance, or tips would be gratefully received, even if it doesn't entirely help, at least suggestions can help me think of possible alternative ways to achieve the results I'm aiming for.

Thanks.

Edited by wizzkidd

Wow, OK, a LOT going on here. I'm not sure I have a complete grasp of it all.

What I have noticed is that you have a lot of subnets: 192.168.0.x, 192.168,1.x, 10.0.0.x. By definition, computers on these 3 subnets CANNOT talk to each other. This is part of the IP protocol and it involves the subnet mask.

An example: a computer that has IP 192.168.0.111 cannot communicate with a computer that has 192.168.1.123 (assuming they're have mask 255.255.255.0). They can't even PING each other.

I would check what IP addresses your client computers are getting; which subnet are they on? Perhaps you could post the IPs here.

An example: a computer that has IP 192.168.0.111 cannot communicate with a computer that has 192.168.1.123 (assuming they're have mask 255.255.255.0). They can't even PING each other.

Of course they can, they just need a router.

Of course they can, they just need a router.

...or just a route entry.

That was kind of the point: he talks about having a switch at the core of his LAN, not a router. In a home LAN, why would you have a router?

He talks about having different subnets on his N40L, and different ones again on his client computers. I don't get the impression he really knows the effect(s) this can have, hence my post.

Thank you for your reply.

I am aware of IP's and subnets and subnet masks and routing etc, so no need to explain or elaborate there.  You do have a point that it appears that my NIC's are on various subnets, but I was unsure if this was pfSense doing something unusual that I am not familiar with.  So let me explain a little further....

...Oh, actually.... looks like I might have found the possible/initial cause of my problems, so before I continue asking for help, I think I had better re-setup my modem etc. Because it appears my modem has reset itself back to default settings (hence the 192.168.0.1 IP address) - I'm sure I had changed my modems IP to be in the 10.0.0.x range - so this explains a few things.  With that said, I found my modem has re-enabled its internal DHCP server and other settings too, which would have cause more headache while issuing 192.168.x.x IP's - so back to the drawing board.  I'll be back when the Mrs is not using her laptop so I can reconfigure my modem and not interrupt her YouTube viewing :/

Thx.

Excellent. Look forward to your report. It was that you said your modem is on 192.168.0.1 in the OP that got me started on subnets :)