RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
bondisdead

WHS 2011 RAID1 Array has 500GB of "hidden data"!

bondisdead

This morning I received an alert that one of my WHS data drives was low on free space. I went to look at the drive, and there is some mysterious 500GB of data consumed somewhere!

This is the setup. I have two 2TB drives in a RAID1 configuration, using the Intel motherboard raid (IRST). Windows identifies there as being 1.81 TB of usable space, and 1.79TB of it being used (only 25GB free). The only folder on the drive is the one created by WHS: ServerFolders. Under that you can find "Client Computer Backups", "Documents", "Music" and "Pictures". If I add up the amount of data used in each of those folders, it is 705GB, 371GB, 152GB and 75GB, respectively. That totals to 1.3TB. Where is the missing 500GB being consumed?!

If I use the add-in AWIECO DriveInfo, it shows an additional chunk of data called System which is 500GB. What is this? It's as though the drive is only 1.3TB instead. The Windows DiskManagement shows the 1.8TB partition.

Awieco-DriveInfo.jpg

Any ideas what might be going on here?

Drashna Jaelre

Shadow copies enabled on that drive?

Sent from my HTC One S

bondisdead

Shadow copies enabled on that drive? Sent from my HTC One S

Holy cow, you were right! I had done nothing with shadow copies, but when I checked it was set to no limit, and the details button had about 500GB! Just set it to a lower limit, and all is good now. Just wondering how/why windows would have set aside 1/4 of the disk for shadow copies?

Thanks so much!

Drashna Jaelre

:-)

And other than that it had the space available?

Sent from my HTC One S

bondisdead

Yup! I specified a limit on the space allowed, and that freed up the remaining space immediately.

ikon

The simple answer is that Windows is reserving space to protect your data. It's not a backup, and it's not designed to replace a genuine backup, but it is there to provide an extra layer of security.

IMHO, if you are disabling or significantly reducing VSS in order to reclaim disk space, it's time to look at increasing your storage pool.

• Like 1