RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

WHS Bridged media issues

ITmaster

Hi Guys.

I am running WHS with all updates and I am trying to watch a few films on my PS3. I can watch the standard def films on my PC fine not a problem (wired connection) but when opening the media on my PS3 it jerks for about three seconds and then hangs for roughly ten minutes before continuing for about 5 seconds and stalling again. My wifi network is 54MBPS and is on a channel that is different to all the others. However the access point the PS3 connects to is also bridged to another router where its connected to the Internet. Is it jerky because the access point is bridged? Thanks

Channels, max bit rate, and reality do not necessary match reality as the key factor is distance, signal strenght, and interferece. My suggestion is that you perform a test using a large file and do a benchmark on your wirless connection. If you are not getting at least 5-6 meg/sec which I suspect you are not getting, it will not stream correctly or consistantly. I am basing this on numerous media streaming setups I have setup for people. Obviously if you can hard wire it would be best or consider a 5 ghz brige/access point to effortlessly stream SD video as they seem to work great if the distance is not to far (still does not work for 1080P). Using the AP setup you have should be OK but you are still dealing with the over crowded 2.4ghz range so if you have allot of neighbors or devices in your home that overlap you may not have a choice but to go to 5 ghz. I have recently done exactly what you are asking for someone a week ago and had the same issue.

Also make sure the router you purchase is true Dual band - it can do 5ghz and 2.4ghz at the same time - some of the lower end are not "true dual band" simultaneously.

And Ditto - cat6 to all and to all cat6

Oh BTW bridging is nice for some needs with SD but if you can only get 3 or 4 meg/s through point between the routers then the extra "hop" may cause some minor latency issues.