RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
tswalker

so I picked up the N54L for pfsense...

tswalker

I must have checked out the wrong untangle software...  looks seriously expensive.

I got pfsense 2.1 working smoothly on it... 2 additional NICs (4 ports)/subnets and segmented the wifi routers (configured as access points) with routes through the primary gateway...

working good so far.

if anyone was curious, I picked up two of these to use (reason why I needed pfsense 2.1)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833328022

they worked right out of the box.. fit perfectly in the chasis and I was surprised that they included low-profile brackets (saved me some dremel time)...

ikon

Untangle does need more CPU than pfSense, but I would think an N54L is up to the task. It does come with 2GB of RAM :)

There is a free version of Untangle that's completely free -- it's an open-source GPL-licensed project. Basically, you pay for the extras, if you want them. IIRC, you just download UT and install it; just don't sign up for any of the extras and it's free.

tswalker

I'll take a second look at it ikon.. thanks for the suggestions!

so far though, pfsense is working great... though, after looking at the N54L performance/utilization so far...  I feel like I put a Titan in the place of where a foot soldier would do :lol:

ikon

If you've got pfSense up & working well, and you're comfortable administering it, there's probably no reason to change, but you might want to have a look at UT just for the heck of it.

• Like 1