RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
tswalker

so I picked up the N54L for pfsense...

tswalker

last week Newegg had a shell-shocker deal where you could purchase this and the Sans Digital TR4M+BNC with MIRs (~100$USD).  I also had a 100$ gift card left over from Christmas, and well.. my final walk-away price for the two will be about 180$...  I just couldn't say no... I didn't learn anything in the '80s did I?

Well after a bit of searching, I read geek-accountants guide and found a lot of talk about this, but no real guides or how-to's anywhere yet on using the N54L strictly for pfsense.  So, I guess my question.. is anyone else doing this and if so, did you run into any issues or have any recommendations?

Should I go ahead and mod the BIOS or upgrade the memory a little (I think I have an 8GB stick around somewhere)?

How did you incorporate your WIFI network?  Did you just convert them to access points somehow (not sure I can do this, I have a WRT100 serving b/g/n and a D-LINK DI-614+)?  I thought about putting a WIFI card in it, but I only have a couple b/g ones available: Linksys WMP54GS and a Rosewill RNX-G300E, and well I guess FreeBSD doesn't support N nor AC yet.(?)

I have an option to either use one NIC (10/100) to the WAN side, and/or add the WIFI adapter...  decisions decisions.

I guess I still have a lot of reading to do around here, but just wanted to pop these questions up.

thanks!

jmwills

Not a 54L but a 40L.  You will need a second NIC card for the WAN connection and you can use the onboard NIC for the LAN connection.    Let pfSense be your DHCP server so that means you disable DHCP on other routers.

Give the new Access Points a Static IP within the scope of the pfSense DHCP server and if you need more than one, just put them on different channels so that way you can have seamless access among several points.

Obviously, the internal LAN will need to come together with a good gigabit switch.

pfSense>Switch>all other wired points on your LAN.

tswalker

thanks Jim!...

I think that would be the best option for the wifi setup and just stick a hub between them and the N54L...  then I'll have the PCIe x1 slot or IPMI option if I need to add more ports.

Edited by tswalker

jmwills

Not a hub...a switch.

ikon

An N54L will make 1 heck of a pfSense box.

For your WiFi, disabling the router part (converting them into Access Points) is as simple as not using the WAN port, at least on most routers. These consumer grade routers only route between the WAN port and the other ports on the router (wireless & LAN). If you don't use the WAN port, then no routing takes place :)

And you thought it was going to be hard ;)

Like jmwills said, be sure to put a good Ethernet switch at the center of everything. Please don't use the LAN ports on the wireless routers (except for 1 to connect the router to the switch); the switching circuits in consumer wireless routers are not very good. I recommend a 16-port D-Link, Netgear, or Cisco/Linksys.

tswalker

oh ok, ya I see what you're saying.. well that will be super easy to do with these things!

for now, I only have access to consumer switches.. not sure why I said hub. lol, they'll have to do until I can invest in something better.

Fantasysage

You seem a little out of depth to be trying a pfsense install, no offense intended.

What are you going to be using it for? 

tswalker

none taken, ... a proper firewall and network security <_<

ikon

If pfSense is a bit too complicated, perhaps Untangle would be a better choice.

2percenter

But untangle needs more horsepower...but agree its easier to handle and the ad blocker is more easy to configure...thats why i use both, first the pfsense and after that the untangle, works perfect on a esxi server.

But as mentioned, untangle needs more ram, would recommend at least 1gb. With less i have seen memory balooning in the vm.

Regards