RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
tswalker

Western Digital DX4000 moving to Windows Server 2012...

tswalker

I started mid-December to convert my DX4000 to WS2012 standard and create a blog showing the necessary tools and step to do so.

http://blugged.wordpress.com/category/wd-dx4000/

The technique I use involves creating a bootable USB with WinPE and TightVNC to gain remote access to the system.  I just finished the article series where I demonstrate using a PowerShell script to program the LCD panel (which is downloadable).

Anyway, I thought I would post this incase someone was trying to figure out a way to do this, or perhaps may be interested in learning how to.

cskenney

Nice information.  I revised your title just a bit to make it easier for people to find.

ikon

Really nice of you to share you experiences and 'lessons learned'.

diehard

I've been trying to install Windows Server 2012 Essentials on my DX4000. I still have not been successful.

On an other note: How do you recommend using your LCD Powershell script on a vanilla DX4000 ?

tswalker

thanks all and for the title fix  :)

On the vanilla build from WD, they had a few service providers controlling temperature and the LCD.  "if" I remember correctly, look for something called "WD LCD" Provider or service.. there are about 3 or 4 running that they are using.  You should be able to disable this to regain control of the LCD.

You may also need to updated to PowerShell 3.0, but I'm not completely certain about that for 2008 R2.

Nearly all of the editing and testing can be done within the PowerShell ISE (editor), but you may also need to set the execution policy for PowerShell scripts (noted here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee176961.aspx )

diehard

Ok, I got Windows Sever 2012 Essentials working on the DX4000. :D

Now I need to fix the fan speed which defaults to maximum and get the LCD working with your script. So far unsuccessful.

I was able to run the command to write whatever I want to the LCD, but running the powershell script doesn't work. I do have the 4 files and the script in C:\LCD

ikon

Congrats to you tswalker and diehard.

tswalker

just a note, the script sets the fan speed to maximum (255, around line # 520).

try opening it in PowerShell ISE (open c:\lcd in explorer, right click the lcd.ps1 file and select edit).. this will set the PS context to the directory.. and try running it in the editor first to see if you get any error messages.