RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
joem

CyberPower CP1000AVRLCD UPS Battery Backup $100

ikon

Cool. I have another Back-UPS available. When I get a few minutes, I'll try daisy-chaining 2 of them and report back.

ikon

OK, test complete.

I plugged a Back-UPS 500 into the wall, then a Back-UPS 350 into the 500, then a printer and a couple of other small devices into the 350, then powered everything up.

When I unplugged the 500 from the wall, both Back-UPS units went instantly into Battery Mode. IOW, they both detected that they didn't have wall power. This is not a disaster per se: the units didn't just crash immediately, so that's good. OTOH, it doesn't seem to be much use daisy-chaining the units together.

Presumably, power would be cut off from the printer and other devices as soon as the battery in the 350 drains. The funny thing is, because the 350 went into Battery Mode, it presumably stops trying to draw power from the wall, so it effectively stops drawing power from the 500, which means the 500's battery might last a long time, since it really has no drain on it.

As no-control indicated, his setup works. So, the message is 2-fold: 1) YMMV and 2) test, test, test.

Guest no-control

I have a the rack AND a workstation plugged into the 1st one. So its it doing more than dbl conditioning.

pcdoc

Going to be the lone wolf skeptic here....again (where is timekills?). Where is the evidence that running without a sine wave UPS will damage an active PFC PSU? I've run Sim Sine UPS' for years without a problem. Not just my home gear either. I've seen plenty of enterprise gear run with sim-sine UPSs this way as well.

Actually I am the evidence. More than once I have heard the chattering noise of the PS running off of a sim sine while running off the battery, and once I saw smoke from my Thermaltake PS which is not a condition I would want to repeat.  Does not mean it will happen every time but what does happen is the loud hum/chatter of the PS trying to regulate a square wave which I believe does strain to the PS.  My understanding when I researched this is that it is dependent on the PFC circuitry of the MFG as to whether or not it will crap the PS.   If the PS is strong it should be fine if not run for a long time on the battery, but if not...  Just saying if I am going to replace my UPS, buy one for the first time, or run it on a main server, then I would not mess with it as it is not worth the risk.  Once is all it took for me.