RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

HDD missing, unable to connect

koppa

I have recently built a HP N54L with WHS 2011 and installed 2 3TB WD Red HDDs and mirrored them using the disk management tool.

Everything appeared to be running fine, but when I logged into the dashboard this evening, it advised me that a new drive had been detected.

When remoting into the server, the disk management tool was advising me that the mirroring had failed and one of my drives was no longer initialized.

I have turned off the server and removed and reinserted both the HDDs in case they had come loose, but after turning it back on, the drive is still not responding.  I have since remove the mirror with Disk 0 working fine, but Disk 1 remaining at Not Initialized.

When I attempt to Initialize Disk, I receive an error message "The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error.

Is the HDD broken or is it something else?

Any help would be appreciated.

Put the drive in another system or preferably run Spinrite on it to test it.  It could be a dead drive.

This should be pretty simple to troubleshoot.

First, try the drive in another slot in the cage.

Second, attach the suspect disk to another system and see how it responds. If you have SpinRite you can use it to see if the drive is seriously faulty.

If the drive seems to respond OK on another system. open up the N54L and check all the cabling; reinsert the SFF8087 connector.

This should be pretty simple to troubleshoot.

First, try the drive in another slot in the cage.

Second, attach the suspect disk to another system and see how it responds. If you have SpinRite you can use it to see if the drive is seriously faulty.

If the drive seems to respond OK on another system. open up the N54L and check all the cabling; reinsert the SFF8087 connector.

I have tried a different slot in the cage with the same result.

I have now taken the drive out and plugged it into my PC and get the same error message when trying to initialize the disk.

Would that confirm that the disk is indeed broken?

Yes, it would appear to be so.  How old is it?  Get an RMA started with WD as soon as possible.

Yep. It seems to be all or nothing with Reds. So far, the ones I successfully SpinRited out of the box are performing perfectly. The 1 DOA I had failed SpinRite right out of the box. Here's another practically brand new dead one. I really wonder if it would have failed SpinRite if it had been tested right off. You have to wonder why WD is allowing this.

Yep. It seems to be all or nothing with Reds. So far, the ones I successfully SpinRited out of the box are performing perfectly. The 1 DOA I had failed SpinRite right out of the box. Here's another practically brand new dead one. I really wonder if it would have failed SpinRite if it had been tested right off. You have to wonder why WD is allowing this.

WD puts secret code and radio receivers in their drives. They can kill your drive at any time. If you have had a WD drive fail you must have done something bad that angered WD. Your statement above, questioning WD's motives, this will anger them. If you are still using WD drives, you should back them up quickly.

Your data is at risk,,,,,,

The truth is out there,,,,,,

Trust no one,,,,,,,

Edited by schoondoggy