RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Random Reboots

webapprentice

I have been using SageTV since 2004 and it was running on the same machine with no problems until I upgraded a month and a half ago. I upgraded to a new board with am2 process, 4 GB of dual channel ram, at 750 GB, 1.0tb 500 GB for storage and a 120 GB formatted at 64k to record TV shows and a Hauppauge 250 and a Hauppauge 2250. The power supply is a 450watt. The home server experience is awesome for all the things you all talk about in this forum expect it would randomly reboot.
I ran all the memory test I could run, ran spinrite for a week, ran a bunch of stress test with every live CD diagnostics I could. There were no errors but the machine just kept reboot. I verified all the drivers are updated and correct. The power supply did not seem to be the culprit since I have heard that the boot up is when most of the power is used and it did not flinch. It also did not boot for a week during spinrite test. The only thing I could find is that some Hauppauge cards do not work well with 4gb ram on 64bit systems. I kept reading forums and googling everything I could find on the subject and the one reoccurring them was the 4gbs. I removed the 2 GB of ram and now my system has been up for 27 hours without a reboot.
If anyone knows a better work around or has faced these issues I am interested on your thoughts on this matter.

I had rebooting problems as well. Turned out to be the ram. The faulty ram even passed memtest . So I systematically began switching out components and finally found the issue.

Almost every time I have seen this it has been assocaited with a power supply, and the second source is memory. Some of the new chips need a strong 12V rail and in 50% of upgrades, I have to replace the supply for stability. Also with regards to memory, I do not believe it the quantity as much as the timimg/controller. Are they using the same type/speed? How many banks are you using? Have you researched proper BIOS settings for you MB type and memory. There is art to that in some of the new systems expecially when you run more than one bank. Lastly, you said you ran all the memory test? Did you run a stress test such as everest, memtest, or Prime95? I usually run some level of stress test for 24 hours to make sure that all is well. That should filter our any weak components.

Thanks for the quick responses. I have two banks of ram and just removed the second bank of ram and it seemed to fix the issues. I let memtest run for 24 hours and the stress test I used was http://www.inquisitor.ru/about/ . The memory was purchased as a set in a bundle from tigerdirect. They are the same type and speed. The last point you made was the bios settings. I have built and repaired a lot of systems but I have not dove to deeply into bios settings. I will take a look and see what I can find. I may also put the memory i took out of the second bank and put it in the first and see if the crashes start again. I am comfortable with 2gb ram but if i can get back up to 4 that would be great. My wife has been patient and i am not going to do any more changes until the weekend because the WAF goes down if Days of our lives is missed.

Your idea of switching the banks to eliminate a set or a bank is good. If it shows that it is good, then it may be a timing issue. If it passes, post the exact model number of MB/CPU or google memory timing for that model number. Are you running DDR3? DDR3 is far more tempermental than DDR2. Let us know.

And is the ram in gang mode or not. The new antec psu testers you can get from BB for 30$ are not bad at all. Great tool to add to the box!