RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Anywhere Access VPN not assigning client PC an IP address

Jason

Did a reinstall of my WS2012E last night.  Am able to connect to RDP via the *.remotewebaccess.com web site.  Can also establish an Anywhere Access VPN (SSTP) connection.  However after connecting to the VPN, I'm unable to access the network as I could in the past.  When I check the status of the VPN, it appears it isn't assigning any IP address to the VPN client.

Is there a DHCP setting on the WS2012E server I need to adjust for this?

Either install the DHCP roll and be done with it....

Or you'll need to add the Remote Access management console and, yes specify an IP address range, IIRC.

Thanks. Appears it was due to a lack of DHCP role being installed. Did a clean OS install and am slowly reconfiguring my WS2012E box back to the state prior to clean install. This involves a year worth of tweaks so this one must've escaped me. So far so good.

Amen to that!

Another situation where I 'm happy I had Server Backup setup and running: Beginning of April (or there about  there was a bad update pushed by Microsoft that causes BSODs... namely related to srv2.sys (SMB v2 driver/filter).  I couldn't tell you which update specifically... but as this is a file server, obviously not acceptable. Used Server Backup to roll back to before the BSODs started and it hasn't come back (they've appeared to have fixed the bad update)

I don't know about others but I have a habit of doing a clean OS install and grabbing all MS Updates before proceeding with any system configuration. Usually a server backup follows the MS Updates.

Edited by Jason

Yeah Jason, but the point of making that initial backup is so you don't have reinstall from scratch. It saves quite a bit of time for me. I know that doesn't help too much with brand new hardware, but it's sure nice for reinstalls :)

As a matter of practice, I install the OS and patch it completely, image/backup that and move on.  And I usually give that initial install, 24 hours to sit and pull anything it wants.

I... umm... customize and sysprep a lot. haven't does so for 2012 yet... but... yeah. :)