RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Time to upgrade my router from linksys WRT54G. But to what?

Krueger86

Yep.

I also highly recommend using wireless routers as only Access Points. I find that using consumer-grade routers for only 1 purpose makes them more reliable. I guess that sorta makes sense, doesn't it :) I would recommend just buying Wireless Access Points except they almost always cost more than full routers, I assume because they're just not produced in the same quantities.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jmwills

• ikon

• schoondoggy

• Krueger86

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Lots of ways you can go. I prefer to have router/firewall and Wifi as separate components.

I have been happy with the move to a Zyxel USG 20 firewall from the router I was using.

Have you considered building your own?

Pfsense and Untangle are popular solutions.

I am testing Sophos Home edition UTM, another free choice.

If you want to stay with a all in one unit the ASUS RT-AC66U is popular with the tech enthusiast community.

So what are you using for the wireless access point then?

I am using a EnGenius EAP600. At the time it was the least expensive dual concurrent radio WAP I could find;

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=33-168-107&IsVirtualParent=1

It completely covers a two story house and basement with both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz concurrently. Here is some posts;

http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/4895-wireless-access-point-with-concurrent-dual-radio/

I also consider Ubiquiti;

http://www.ubnt.com/

I really like the Ubiquiti stuff, especially for point-to-point backhaul stuff. It seems very high quality at unbelievably low prices.

I use pfsense for the router - I use a home built PC (Atom D525 with 2GB of RAM and 30GB SSD which is a huge overkill).  That sits right after the Cable modem and handles all DHCP.  

Then I use a DLink DIR-655 as a wireless access point.  

Since moving to this configuration I have had zero issues with my network.  Just what I do

Jim, almost identical to mine. The main difference is I'm using Untangle. Like you, this arrangement makes for little to no network issues for me.

WRT54GL loaded with Tomato

Isn't that just a G device.  Not wireless N.  I probably could do the same with one of the two WRT54G units I have now?

You might be able to find a version of DD-WRT that would run on a WRT54G, but I don't think you can run Tomato. The issue is that there isn't enough onboard flash ROM. The WRT54GL is specifically made to run 3rd party firmware.

Like you said though, those units do not do N wireless.

Isn't that just a G device.  Not wireless N.  I probably could do the same with one of the two WRT54G units I have now?

You have to have the GL version.

You other option is to use an old system to install pfSense or unTangle and then use an N Series router as an access point.  This way you have about $400 invested in this option.  Or, you stay with G and pay $50 for the GL router.