RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Time to upgrade my router from linksys WRT54G. But to what?

Krueger86

Need help. I have been looking at new routers. Doing research. But not finding many reviews that are totally happy with any of them. I need to go to wireless N. I don't want to make another purchase for awhile. I have legacy G equipment and of course newer IPhones that support N and I am sure anything I buy will be N. I have just added an 8 port netgear gigabyte switch off my current router and that has wired connections to my HP Microserver, two NAS units, a desktop computer and an HD Homerun tuner. I do plan on adding another 5 port netgear gigabyte switch to support another desktop and probably wire to the Xbox 360.

I need to be able to control configuration to support remote access to my WHS2011 server and my FTP on one of my NAS units. I was also considering starting to use and learn about bittorrents. Please excuse my lack of skills in that area.

Oh, I will also be adding another HD Homerun unit to the network in the next couple of weeks.

So, what would you recommend?

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jmwills

• ikon

• schoondoggy

• Krueger86

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Lots of ways you can go. I prefer to have router/firewall and Wifi as separate components.

I have been happy with the move to a Zyxel USG 20 firewall from the router I was using.

Have you considered building your own?

Pfsense and Untangle are popular solutions.

I am testing Sophos Home edition UTM, another free choice.

If you want to stay with a all in one unit the ASUS RT-AC66U is popular with the tech enthusiast community.

WRT54GL loaded with Tomato

Won't do 'N'.

Kreuger86, any of the newer D-Link, Linksys/Cisco, or Netgear routers should do fine. I'm using a D-Link DIR825. Others in these forums like the DIR615.

I have a caution for you. I don't recommend adding another Ethernet switch to your LAN. I ran into video streaming issues when using multiple switches. I suggest you sell your current switch and replace it with a single 16 or 24 port, then do homerun cables to every location you need them.

True,,,,but do you really need N inside your own network?  I agree about adding the other switch.

100+ Mb can be handy if you try to Play To a file from your server ----> laptop (or Surface in my case) ----> WD TV Live ----> TV. After all, you're going to have to use bandwidth to pull the file from the server and then use bandwidth again to send it to the WD TV Live. :)

We're a two person household.  G works just fine for us with both having tablets and streaming from a virtual WHS.

I had no trouble streaming from my server directly to my laptop over G, but pulling the file from the server and back out to the WD Live was problematic. Thankfully, my wife didn't have her Surface at that point, or it would have been worse. Fortunately, I now have N wireless for us both to use our Surfaces.

Back to the point....unTangle or pfSense may be a good alternative as well as Sophos (formerly Astaro), but you still have to come off those boxes into a wirless environment so you either buy a good N router and disable DHCP on it or stay with what you have.

Guest no-control

Schoondoggy is the only rational person here.

Asus RT-N66U would be another one to look at. As well as the Western Digital WDBWVK0000NSL-HESN, which rolls right off the tongue.