RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Network Search/Index Application

awraynor

Over at bitsdujour.com they are giving away the standard version of Folder Scout. 

It searches only the local PC, network searching requires the professional version.

The author is also giving a discount on that version, making it just $9.97. It will likely

do what I want, but I have issue with ugly programs. It's stupid I know, but it hurts

to look at an ugly program.

Can anyone recommend a network aware search/index app? I looked at Copernic

Pro, but it's kind of pricey at $50. I think you can add the network location to the 

standard windows search, but haven't tried that yet.  I did have to move the search

index off my 128GB SSD, it took a fourth of it.  

Any thoughts, or do you just remote into the server and search from there?

You know, I've never even thought of having a universal search index for my network. Thanks for bringing up the topic.

One question: does google have a search tool we can get/buy. I know they have hardware search appliances, but I wonder if they have software you can run on your own box?

I would mention SharePoint with it's own Search Application but I know ikon would freak out!  :lol:

Why? I've got nuthin' against SP. I think it's a bit demanding on resources, and can be a bit 'finicky'. But, I admit, I'm out of touch with SP developments over that last few years.

Does SP do global network search? What about inside PDFs and other files?

As long as the data is on one of the Databases, it can be searched.  Not network....and yes you can expect it to be resource intensive.

OK, so SP's modus operandi hasn't changed then. What I'd really like is what awraynor is looking for; a way to index search all the files on my network.